Micro charging, which bar are you talking about?

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Micro charging, which bar are you talking about?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought I would show two Auto Disk charge bars that are often confused in their terminology.
micro_charging.jpg
The Micrometer Adjustable Charge Bar (#90792) on the right is often referred to as the micro charge bar or disk which might be confused with the real Micro Disk (#90302) for small case charging.

The Micro Disk is no longer available as the mold that formed the part was accidently dropped and broken. I've been told that Lee is looking at a obtaining a replacement mold but it will be awhile before new Micro Disks are available.

I have used one for a long time to drop my 25 ACP, 32 ACP, and 380 Charges. I noticed a hairline crack in mine recently, the crack is across the disk but does not intersect any of the cavities. So, I polished it up and have kept using it but wanted to find a replacement which forum member joec provided. As far as the crack goes, I do not think it a product defect but suspect that I dropped the disk on my tile floor some time in the past and just noticed it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Micro charging, which bar are you talking about?

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Lee, please hurry up and birng back the Micro Disk. I hunger for one. I'm sorry I didn't buy one a year ago when they were still available. :(
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Lee, please hurry up and birng back the Micro Disk. I hunger for one. I'm sorry I didn't buy one a year ago when they were still available. :(
Rather than that simply add disks between the regular ones with sizes down and between existing ones. The Micro Disk would be great if it would stack over other disks but it really won't. No reason they can make it a full thickness disk though it wouldn't work with some powder but the fine stuff is sure would. I've thought about picking up an extra set of disks, filling in the holes and drill them to between sizes of the existing disks.

But then I asked Lee over a year ago to make a locking ring similar to Hornady's or Lyman's lock ring only smaller to fit the turret presses. They make them now for the single stage Breech lock system but still nothing but the O ring type for their turrets and progressives. I've gone to use RCBS lock rings but prefer the cross bolt type instead of the direct lock nut type.
Joe
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

joec wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:Lee, please hurry up and birng back the Micro Disk. I hunger for one. I'm sorry I didn't buy one a year ago when they were still available. :(
Rather than that simply add disks between the regular ones with sizes down and between existing ones. The Micro Disk would be great if it would stack over other disks but it really won't. No reason they can make it a full thickness disk though it wouldn't work with some powder but the fine stuff is sure would. I've thought about picking up an extra set of disks, filling in the holes and drill them to between sizes of the existing disks.
I really want one for reloading .32 ACP for a Beretta Tomcat I amost never shoot. But then again I haven't even shopped for a bullet mold for it yet.
joec wrote: But then I asked Lee over a year ago to make a locking ring similar to Hornady's or Lyman's lock ring only smaller to fit the turret presses. They make them now for the single stage Breech lock system but still nothing but the O ring type for their turrets and progressives. I've gone to use RCBS lock rings but prefer the cross bolt type instead of the direct lock nut type.
I prefer the Hornady split lock rings to any of them but I have to admit that I'm going full circle with the Lee lock rings. At first I hated them and now I'm starting to enjoy the ease of changing them. I originally thought the split lock rings would be set and forget but now that I'm swapping between several presses I find the Lee rings to be like magic. Who da thunk it... :?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I really want one for reloading .32 ACP for a Beretta Tomcat I almost never shoot. But then again I haven't even shopped for a bullet mold for it yet.
You didn't get a TL314-75-RF? I'm loading that bullet for three Taurus 732s. I think the 32 ACP is the most shot cartridge on the ranch.

NOE is in the process of gearing up for production of standard lube groove versions of my molds. You might check with Al at NOE about it.

I really wish that Taurus would make a 725! A 25 ACP chambered handgun based on the 732/738 frame. I hear a lot of speculation about how tough the 25 ACP and 32 ACP are to reload but that is from people that are not actually doing it. These two cartridges are the easiest there is to load and yes, cast for. I taught my granddaughter how to reload 25 ACP cartridges when she was four years old. If she can do it...

I'm shot several hundred 25 ACP over the weekend and my wife shoots about 250 32 ACP a month. The 25 ACP costs me 8¢ a round and the 32 ACP 9¢ a round!

I was using Rooster Jacket bullet lube on these small pellets, it is just a clear wash applied to the bullet, but production on it was stopped late last year so I will need to start dipping these bullets in Alox as well.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:
joec wrote: But then I asked Lee over a year ago to make a locking ring similar to Hornady's or Lyman's lock ring only smaller to fit the turret presses. They make them now for the single stage Breech lock system but still nothing but the O ring type for their turrets and progressives. I've gone to use RCBS lock rings but prefer the cross bolt type instead of the direct lock nut type.
I prefer the Hornady split lock rings to any of them but I have to admit that I'm going full circle with the Lee lock rings. At first I hated them and now I'm starting to enjoy the ease of changing them. I originally thought the split lock rings would be set and forget but now that I'm swapping between several presses I find the Lee rings to be like magic. Who da thunk it... :?
My problem with the Hornady which I use for dies on my single stage is you can't mount 3 or 4 of them on the Lee Turrets or Progressive presses. You can use 2 as long as they are opposite sides on the LCT press. The same with the Laymen cross bolts ones so I'm sticking with either the Cowboy die ones on the cowboy dies or Lee's on Lee dies.
Joe
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ranch Dog wrote: You didn't get a TL314-75-RF? I'm loading that bullet for three Taurus 732s. I think the 32 ACP is the most shot cartridge on the ranch.
Nope. I suffer over and over from too many irons in the fire and not enough funds to cover all of them. I may wait it out and see if he offers a tumble lube lube version. Either way the .32 and .25 are both on the back burner right now for other distasters... I mean projects...

Rooster Jacket... I remember you getting terrible leading in something but can't remember what it was. I know every combo of lube and alloy I tried with a Mak mold left terrible lead in my Mak's barrel to the point I even had a new barrel fitted. That helped the worst of it but I never could get that project to a finish and finally gave up out of frustration. I loaded all the way down to powder puff mouse fart non slide cylcing levels and still had lead in the bore. I think I loaded the same box of brass a good dozen times. The ice pick in the backside was that I think I lost at least two or three cases each time out at the range. I almost sold that gun since it made me so mad.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I almost sold that gun since it made me so mad.
I have done that!

Rooster Jacket has worked well in my 25 ACP and 32 ACP. The 380 Auto was a disaster! All of these at appropriate velocities and pressures for the cartridge.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I think I threw mine in a Midway order but it looks like Rooster Jacket is no more:

http://www.roosterlabs.com/products.html

I feel like I already knew this but am forgetting. :?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, another item bites the dust. From what I read on the website it looks like they are someone that would be interested in branding it under their name. I was thinking at the time that MidwayUSA ought to pick it up under the Franklin Arsenal name.
Michael

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”