Auto Drum Measure

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Auto Drum Measure

Post by horseman »

I haven't seen much mention of the Auto Drum measure here. I know some members here have them but not a lot of talk about them. I know one member here personally and I've seen his test results (different forum) but this was right after he got his. I have one also, set up on a Dillon 450 (it seems to be much better than the Dillon measure) just for loading 223 so haven't really used it all that much. I've done a bit of my own testing but not a lot. So I guess what I'm getting at is would you (current owners/users) swap the Pro DisK/Auto disk for the Auto drum on your presses. That's kinda what I'm thinking about doing. I have three Pro disk and one Auto disk measure setup on die plates and am considering getting rid of them and just going with Auto drum measures instead. I like the physical size and powder drop capabilities better and I've had good consistent results what little I've used it. Just not sure of the long term with them compared to the disk measures which have always been a great little measure. So has anyone really put one to work for a few thousand rounds (or more) of different calibers and how do you compare it to the disk measures..likes, or dislikes with it.Thanks.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Auto Drum Measure

Post by DaveInGA »

I haven't used the Auto Drum yet, so I can't comment on that. But I do own several different brands of cylinder type measures, Dillon measures and Pro Auto Disks. My experience is there are powders that pass through some better than they do with others. My suggestion is to not be too hasty with getting rid of the Pro Auto Disks (not qualified to comment on the Auto Disk) and to find out which powders the Auto Drum measure likes and which ones it doesn't.

I'm betting you'll hang onto some of your Pro Auto Disks, if not all of them, when you realize you have some powders than run through them better than the Auto Drum. I do see you using the Auto Drum in powders it handles better.

I do have one comment though. I wish they made a "Classic Auto Drum" with the brass cylinder. That would be a really nice measure with the capability to be used on a progressive/turret press and the benefits the brass cylinder will provide for loading black powder.

Just my .02,

Dave
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I have 2 Pro Auto disk and a extra set of the disks ( the double disk set) and a Auto drum which comes with 4 drum and I've added an extra set of drums. I have found pet loads for specific powders that JUST work for both types of PMs insuring +/- .01 (.02 consistency). So I will continue to use both that have proven trustworthy for the powder and case combination.
The one single advantage of the Auto Drum over the Auto disk is the ease of swapping out the drums, one screw versus 2, which really isn't all that much of a big deal. Heck I always remove the measures when changing powders just to be sure all of the powder particles has been removed before adding the new.
I've noted the powder weight vary depending on which press they are mounted. When either of these measures are mounted the Lee turret the dispensing weights slightly more consistent when compared to the fixed (non rotating) turret/toolhead of the progressive. I guess that makes since because the turret jostles the powder in the hopper to settle it more consistently.

I still won't give up on the old reliable PPM or the new Classic PM for bottleneck cartridges loaded on the SS presses. I gotta admit to a fondness for collecting PMs of all sorts. I currently have 9 different styles of PMs. A couple of them just collect dust. All of the Lee measures and the old Lyman 55 and the Harrells Schuetzen are my favorites. Only the Lee measures are use on the progressive. The Auto Drum as it comes outta the box is best suited for the progressive.

All of the above comments are only based on my usages and may or may not be worth a gall dang in anyone else's environment. ;) :roll: :P
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Hi there daBoone, it's me SB. Thought I would come over here and bug these fine folks, but thought I'd do it "incognito". So far I'm liking the Auto Drum, but I'll admit mostly because of the powder drop capabilities vs the 'Auto disk measures and ease of adjusting the amount. They also have a better "footprint" on the press as far as fit goes. Just not sure I want to go to them completely over the Disk measures because I KNOW what I have there for consistency. Guess the only way to tell is to use your "system" and just get a couple more :D , and then I'll know huh?

Also for Dave......I'd be willing to bet a schilling or two that AFTER they sell a BUNCH of the Auto Drums and they become widely accepted, Lee will then come out with the NEW, IMPROVED, Auto Drum Pro Classic.... then we can all start over again.... :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

[quote="Horseman"Also for Dave......I'd be willing to bet a schilling or two that AFTER they sell a BUNCH of the Auto Drums and they become widely accepted, Lee will then come out with the NEW, IMPROVED, Auto Drum Pro Classic.... then we can all start over again.... :lol:[/quote]
Isn't that the truth!
Michael
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Ranch Dog wrote:[quote="Horseman"Also for Dave......I'd be willing to bet a schilling or two that AFTER they sell a BUNCH of the Auto Drums and they become widely accepted, Lee will then come out with the NEW, IMPROVED, Auto Drum Pro Classic.... then we can all start over again.... :lol:
Isn't that the truth![/quote]

One thing I admire is a company that knows how to make money and keep themselves in business. Lee sure knows how to do that. I also love a company that keeps itself moving forward with innovative products. Again, Lee sure knows how to do that.

I've often been saddened watching Lyman, a once leading company slowly wither on the vince, from development to customer service, they've went downhill I believe or were bought out and ruined by a corporation has bled them dry and ran off the talent.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

So far I get more consistent loads from the auto drum.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The Auto Drum does the one thing the Pro Auto couldn't do for me with slight adjustments. The Adjustable Charge Bar was supposed to work and it does if the volume is large enough but for most pistol charges with medium or faster burn rate powders it's just not enough and you get erratic charges. I've been loading some powder puff .40 loads with Titegroup and the Auto Drum has been measuring them out with hardly a fail. And .1gr off isn't really a fail to me. Interesting side note, it's always +.1gr and almost never -.1gr with everything I've tried.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Maximumbob54 wrote:The Auto Drum does the one thing the Pro Auto couldn't do for me with slight adjustments. The Adjustable Charge Bar was supposed to work and it does if the volume is large enough but for most pistol charges with medium or faster burn rate powders it's just not enough and you get erratic charges. I've been loading some powder puff .40 loads with Titegroup and the Auto Drum has been measuring them out with hardly a fail. And .1gr off isn't really a fail to me. Interesting side note, it's always +.1gr and almost never -.1gr with everything I've tried.
What sticks out to me is the type of powder you're using and Lee's no longer offering the micro disks.

I should fess up I have two of the no longer in production micro disks and they do me well on really small quantites of pistol powders, I ran a lot of Titegroup through them for .380 cases the last time I loaded .380.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Man, I've been wanting to like this Auto Drum measure and to maybe replace the disk measures I have with them. However, today I gave it another go on my Dillon 450 loading 223 using CFE 223 powder. CFE 223 is a fine grain powder that should measure well but I was getting some "interesting" drops with the Auto Drum. I was "trying" to get a 27.0gr load and it just wouldn't settle down. Using two scales, an RCBS 1500 and a Hornady beam scale to check each other (I also have an RCBS 750 Rangemaster that I brought into play a little later.) Yes, I checked both scales with check weights 10, 30, and 50gr. weights. All good. The drops I was getting were not real large swings but erratic, 26.9 then a 27.2, a 27.0, a 26.9, 27.2, then it just started pretty much going with a 26.9 then a 27.2 then back to the first. Very weird. I setup a Pro Disk measure with two .86 disks (double disk kit) and got a consistant 27.0 through 20 drops. (this is when I brought the RCBS 750 into the fray also) Loaded 25 rounds, checked the last one, 27.0gr...I'm just not impressed with the Auto Drum. If it can't out do (or do as well) as a Pro disk running a double disk set up it isn't very good in my opinion. The one bright side is it didn't leak a bit of powder anywhere... :lol:

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”