Auto Disk vs. Auto Disk Pro Stats

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Auto Disk vs. Auto Disk Pro Stats

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is a test that I conducted to see which dispenser, the Auto Disk or the Auto Disk Pro, would provide the best results for loading my Marlin 1894CL chambered in 218 Bee. My main interest is in Trail Boss for my short work and H4198 for a normal load using my TLC225-50-RF cast bullet. I had Unique and BL-C(2) sitting within reach so I ran them through the dispensers as well.
Please note the Unique charges are not appropriate for this cartridge and will cause bodily harm or death!
Besides just measuring & calculating statistics from 10 drops, I went ahead and calculated the effect of the ES of these powder charges, the shift of Point of Impact (POI), downrange.
auto_disk_vs_pro.jpg
I tend to favor the Auto Disk and most of the time I run a test like this, it has the closer numbers. In that I'm Trail Boss and H4198 and if I dispense by volume, the Auto Disk would be the best choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Auto Disk vs. Auto Disk Pro Stats

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Was this test done on a single stage press?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Was this test done on a single stage press?
Classic Turret
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Thanks for posting this info. It is great to see actual data compiled rather than someone just saying they like this or that PM and not even mention the powder used.

Is BL-C(2) stick, flake or ball?

Are those stats with the stock auto disk or with the pro upgrade on the auto disk?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hodgdon's BL-C(2) is a ball like Win 748

Here is the Auto Disk

... and the Auto Disk Pro.

Image\

I discard the first drop after dumping powder in the hopper, cycle the turret around, and charge the case. I did not reject any charges for any reason and weighed the charges on a digital scale. I ensured that after the measure weighed and the pan emptied, that the empty pan was at zero before the next charge was weighed. I really only use these for pistol loading and at 21', the differences don't amount to a hill of beans.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kind of a funny story, I guess, but I've only bought one Auto Disk and one Auto Disk Pro, one Perfect Powder Measure,and one Safety Scale. I've been given three Auto Disks, four Auto Disk Pros, two Perfect Powder Measures and a Safety Scale.

The fellows that gave them to me where %@*&$ off at the performance but I don't think there is anything wrong with any of them. They have limitations and if you understand them, you are good to go. I know my nephew likes the Lee stuff because he was the recipient of a complete issue of the above and when he was still a high school student, he had an extremely well outfitted bench on account of the giveaways!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

The pictures you posted did answer my question. I was wondering if you had updated the Auto disk with the update kits, and you hadn't.

Here a pic of the update kits.

Now I wonder if this easy on and off hopper with the update kit would make a difference in it's performance?
I have 2 Auto Disk Pro and love 'em. But if I was to add another PM it would be the Auto Disk now that I've read your report. Gotta admit I really like the PPM, Pro Auto Disk, Classic PM and the newest Auto disk. I use them all and find them to work perfectly with the specific powders they are set for.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Pretty cool results RD. Easy to see that the powder makes the difference in performance too. And the only problem I have with the Auto Disk Pro is it will not dispense 45 grains of IMR 4064 but I have a work around that is maybe not the best way but it works as long as you can count to 3. Any more and you will spill powder.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Now I wonder if this easy on and off hopper with the update kit would make a difference in it's performance?
Hmmm... I don't think it will make it any better. I do have the swivel adapters for all my Auto Disk dispensers so there is really no gain. I don't have a problem dumping it and I never leave powder in it.
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Hm, could make any guesses were the deviation comes from? I mean all the main parts are identical between these measures.

If the deviation derives from the "elastomer wiper", then an auto disk with udgrade kit might be about the best combination. I don't like the hopper screws going directly into the plastic on the old design, the new thumb nuts and the cut off valve in the hopper make it way easier to empty it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”