Possible Auto Disk Inconsistency Fix?

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Possible Auto Disk Inconsistency Fix?

Post by daboone »

I hope this picture explains why I'm getting the inconsistencies. This ledge only occurs with the larger CC ports.
Maybe my gray hair is clouding the way to correct this. How do you adjust the forward movement of the disk with out increasing the flare/bell or with the rifle charging die stopping forward movement? Would I screw up the base if I filed/dremeled a beveled to open it up a little?

I hoping I'm just having a brain fart and there is a easy correction. :oops: :?

I've covered the press it on with a shop towel because it's not a Lee! ;)
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Possible Auto Disk Inconsistency Fix?

Post by 62chevy »

I've been wondering the same thing. One thing I noticed is when dropping a charge the complete charge was dropped before it was half open. It was so fast if you blinked it was over but that was with Bullseye and TiteGroup have not had a chance to test my IMR 4064 yet. That info baffled me so I've been stumped.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is another RD low budget production & how I setup the Auto Disk. This is with the rifle charging die but I use the same method with the powder through expander die. With the later, I setup the disk over the drop tube first and then expand the case to my liking.

[youtube][/youtube]
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

RD I appreciate your effort in producing this video. I notice you did this with the rifle charging die. I'm currently 2871 miles from my bench so please allow me to to pursue this with out being able to try it out. If you use a powder thru expander die like for instance 38spl wouldn't your technique cause the excessive belling? I'm trying to do this mentally and I just see it increasing the flair.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I do it the same way but it takes a few more strokes to get it setup because not only are you adjusting the length of travel but the flare. The one thing that you must do is never send the same brass up the Expander die. You can use the same piece but it must be resized each time otherwise you will be miles off and overflared when you start charging prepped brass. I simply work with one piece of brass and resize it for each pass up the die during setup.

In the scheme of things I really don't do this often as once my dies are set, they are set, as I do not change things up. If NOE produces the different diameters of powder through plugs that I'm looking for, I will be busy setting up a lot of dies that have not been touched in 10 to 15 years. I did recently go through this with all three of my Load-Masters when I took the return chains off of the dispensers and installed return springs. When I made the change to the first press, I made myself crazy because I had forgot about using a freshly sized case with each stroke, as I noted it is a long time between changes on my setup, but once remembered I was back in business.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Thanks RD! Like I said I'm far away from my bench but I recently got a new press and will be setting it up it up with dies currently configured for the turret when I return. I really like the Lee auto disk PMs but with some ball powders that "shelf" caused some inconsistency. This method of yours will implemented as soon as I return to AZland. AGAIN THANKS :D

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”