Wrestling with the Auto Drum

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Wrestling with the Auto Drum

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:It would be impossible at least for me to ever give up the PPM. It is the least expensive mechanical PM on the market and it's one of the best extruded/stick PMs I've ever used.
Same here, I use both of mine with ball powders as well. The PPM mounted to my bench has dropped incredible amount of charges. I really don't know the number but it has been going since the product was introduced. This winter I'm going to reinforce how it mounts to the stand, probably just epoxy it to the stand as I would say that the "ears" that the screws pass through on their way into the stand have become a bit weak as I have been noticing it flexes with use. Either the epoxy or a screw through the back of the stand up on top into the unit to provide the support.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Been really enjoying this thread guys so don't stop now. =)
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Been really enjoying this thread guys so don't stop now. =)
It is going to slow down for me a bit. Starting on Friday, I'm going to be hunting on a NWR about an hour and a half from my place for the next six days. Will come on home everyday but it will limit my forum time.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Enjoy

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I got rid of the PPM stand and made DIY stand.

I have mounted the PPM directly to the rifle charging die by just removing the retainer that holds the powder funnel. The PPM just screws into the charging die.
Extending out from shelf I have a 2 foot length of flat bar that extends out over the bench's surface so it is about 10in above the bench. On the the end of the flat bar I drilled a 3/4 in hole. The PPM/rifle charging die fit in that hole just beside my SS press. Very convenient and functioning location for reloading.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Because I'm in Texas for awhile I can't show a pictues of my Lee PPM or Classic PM positioned on my DIY mount. The photo does show how the flat bar is positioned for the setup described above.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pretty cool mix of measurers!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:Pretty cool mix of measurers!
Yes BUT they are pretty much preset and the Lee PMs are used 10 time more. There is one, the Quick Measure, that is my favourite for large extruded powders like IMR4350. I don't know why none of my Lee PM s are not in that photo. As you have mentioned Lee is the only company that uses CCs for measurements. That plus the FACT that they consistently work makes them the easiest to set up and use.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:As you have mentioned Lee is the only company that uses CCs for measurements. That plus the FACT that they consistently work makes them the easiest to set up and use.
Exactly that is why I'm a bit stunned by the Auto Drum. What I have found is that the best thing you can use the scratch surface on the drum's barrel for is to indicate the cc that the drum was last set to. Charge doesn't mean a thing as the instructions suggest. I'd never remember the powder it was used with as I go back and forth between powders pretty fast. cc is a constant. Anytime the index is changed, count the flats and write down the cc the drum is now set at.
Michael

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”