Lee 9mm powder through expanding die and auto Drum

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee 9mm powder through expanding die and auto Drum

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Below are the emails replying back to Lee and the response:

Peter,

I can just barely copy what you said and this only seems to work for a slight expanding of the neck for a jacketed bullet. But I primarily use lead and with most 9mm loads I need a .357" or .358" bullet. I prefer to use Hi-Tek coated bullets from MBC and keep shaving the coating trying to seat them. How is this different than the Auto Disk which works just fine? And yes, I press the button each time. I need to just remove that option so it operates the same as the Auto Disk.

Robert Barker

----

Robert,

Your first email led me to believe that you were getting too much flare on your case. Now I understand that you are loading oversize coated bullets that require a large flare but not as large as the flare that is being produced. Small incremental adjustment of the die position should enable you to achieve a satisfactory flare on the case with the Auto Drum. You most likely already checked this but may sure you do not have the tension knob on the Auto Drum turned too tight.

If you are using the same 9MM powder die with the same expander plug for both the Auto Disk Powder Measure and the Auto Drum Powder Measure you should be able to achieve the same amount of flare on the case with either measure. There is a difference in the mechanisms and spring tensions between the two measures but a full range of adjust ability should exist.

Thanks,

Peter
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

---

So if I read that right, the only difference should be the spring pressure? So I setup the Auto Disk again and got the expander set just right. And it was easy to set. I then removed the auto disk watching to be sure the die body didn't move even the slightest bit. I replaced it with the Auto drum. And the next crank of the handle ruined the case mouth...

At this point, I give up. In my humble opinion it's just not worth the effort with 9mm. I very much hope this is the lone fluke with this measure. And if anyone figures what I'm doing wrong then please PLEASE tell me. If it's a dummy mistake on my part then please tell me. I don't want to be spreading an ill rumor if I'm wrong. I highly encourage anyone to buy the Auto Drum and prove me wrong. PLEASE. Seriously. I would rather be proven wrong.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

Maximumbob54,
Thank you for your work on this. I don't feel like an idiot anymore.
I have ordered a couple of flair inserts for the die and will turn one down on the lathe to where it will only give the amount of flair that I want. It will then be non adjustable, but hopefully will work for my size .357 coated lead bullets. If this does not work, I will cut the expander down to where it will not flare and use it as a charge die only.
I think the problem is the strong return spring in the auto drum. It is strong enough to force the die to expand the case at the top of its tension, but does not offer the firm stop that the funnel adapter does.
This adjustment has to be exact and the spring can vary slightly with each stroke.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't have the Auto Drum but one thing I have learned with the Auto Disk and Auto Disk Pro as a fresh case must be used for every test cycle of the setting. If you use the same case, even two times without it completely being resize, you will get a false setting that over flares the cases as you start production.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I do use the same case but I run it through each station to be sure I'm mimicking how I will be loading so the Powder drops as close to the same each time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I do use the same case but I run it through each station to be sure I'm mimicking how I will be loading so the Powder drops as close to the same each time.
Good. The main thing is that the case be sized so that the case shape and tension the powder dispenser will meet with each stroke will be the same.
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

The "Down-stoke Verification Device" on my Auto Drum is now removed.

This statement in the instructions bothers me:

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90811.pdf

Page 11 of 12

"The powder measure will now dispense a powder charge anytime the case
enters the die and raises the expander plug a half an inch. A double charge
is now more likely if you become distracted during the expanding and
charging process. A double charge will blow the gun up and cause serious or
fatal injuries to the shooter or persons nearby."

Uhhhhh.... How is this any different than the Pro Auto? Or the PPM with the case activation? Of the various other brands of case activated powder measures??? All I see is an easy way to squibs.

At least it was easy to remove.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Happy to report the Auto Drum works just fine with .40SW loading:

The powder drop was set for 4.2gr and darn if every single one of those I measured on that little Frankford Arsenal scale wasn't exactly the right amount. Titegroup measures pretty well but I still usually expect at least one or two that are +/- .1 of a grain.

I tried the pre-setup where you take the drum out and measure your powder right from the drum. This got me .2gr light from my desired amount. But then it was easy to dial it in just right. They say you can write with a pencil to show your load on the flat section but I think they mean with a white grease pencil. I would rather just use the masking tape on the reservoir if I'm going to write it out since it's easier to see.

Not really a negative but something to keep an eye on, the powder reservoir isn't a tight fit on the Auto Drum like it is on the PPM. Add to that they aren't interchangeable. While the PPM's reservoir has a fairly tight slip fit, the Auto Drum drops in with a slight wobble. I tried to rush the up and down stroke on the lever to really swing the turret and nothing happened but the small bit of wobble is unnerving.

After the trial of the 9mm I was worried and I'm glad this next test works out just fine with plenty of adjustment and easy to set.

Yes, the bench is a mess right now. :oops:
Last edited by Maximumbob54 on 25 Oct 2015 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That isn't a mess! I can show you a mess.

I'm glad its working out! It sure extends upward!
Michael
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

With the Down-stroke Verification parts removed there is less bulk to the side of the measure. I think if you set the measure in the press first you can probably set the other dies in around it. I had removed my .40SW dies from the turret for loading some 10mm and to reset them back in the turret I did them one at a time. Out of habit on the turret I just left the riser mounted on the powder die.

I didn't actually load any .45 ACP but I did just test it for expander setting with a .452" coated lead bullet and it looks like it also works like a champ for this cartridge.

I'm still not setup for .380 or anything smaller but I'm still hoping 9mm is the one fluke having almost no room for adjustment. 9mm is just a pain to reload anyway. I don't even like reloading it. The cases are tiny, the bullets are tiny, the case hardly extends above a shell plate in a progressive press, and the case being so short means there isn't much room for adjustments sometimes. Still though, it can be done with a little lip biting patience.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I guess I've loaded the 25, 32, and 380 Autos plus the 9mm Luger for so long I just don't think about it much. I'm gon'na stick with my simple Auto Disk. I think I even favor them over the Auto Disk Pro.
Michael

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”