New Auto Disk Hopper Lapped & Torqued

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: New Auto Disk Hopper Lapped & Torqued

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:For changing disks, I don't take off the hopper at all. Unhook the spring, and pull the lever all the way, now you can just slip out the disk to the front. I only got some relatively new pro auto disks, but I guess this would work on the older designs, too.
Thanks for the reminder, long time since I've done it like this.
Michael
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Thanks for the info on the Auto Drum Powder Measure. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. Sounds like some thing I might want to add to my arsenal.
:D
motard
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by motard »

:D
motard

Post by motard »

+1 one the expensive policy, but It's also true that I believe Lee whant's to get rid of the (purely namely from my point of view) poorman's labels. Sorry about my ignorance but I have two more questiones.
First is how does work's that charging bar (I suppose that is) I see in Your' pic. Better say where do you fit it. I have the Autodisk as per the 3d doser from left in Your's pic, and could not immagine sliding it somwhere in the autodisk. Second: cause I am in confusion about the features of all' PM. In a nutshell I would buy at least one or two more PM for reloading 308 and 223 cal (both using VV 140 powder, in stiks) . This because A) the Autodisk is handgun dedicated plus I think that would not handle over 40 grains with the charge bar.
B) because the Bonanza I jet have iv very consistent, but a pity to tune to the right charge: so it will stick with 6,5x55 swede loads.
Wich would You suggest me to choose? The Autodisk I yet have is mounted in the flaring charging die for 9mm. But I suppose that for rifle caliber there is not the possibility and/or the convenience in dropping the powder thought the die in a single stage press? Am I wrong?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

motard wrote:The Autodisk I yet have is mounted in the flaring charging die for 9mm. But I suppose that for rifle caliber there is not the possibility and/or the convenience in dropping the powder thought the die in a single stage press? Am I wrong?
A picture is worth a thousand words and a video priceless…

[youtube][/youtube]

Shopping list
  • Pro Auto Disk - 90429 - $53
  • Double Disk Kit - 90195 - $15
  • Rifle Charging Die - 90194 - $15
The limitation to this setup is the volume of the two largest disks, 1.57 cc, doubled stacked for 3.14 cc, about the volume of the short action bottleneck cartridges. I suspect Lee has wanted to increase this for some time so they have to move outside the limits of the Auto Disk and that is with the new product.

It will be interesting to see what the price of the Auto Drum Powder Measure will be, as the Pro Auto Disk with the Double Disk retails for $68. You will still need a Powder Through Expander Die or a Rifle Charging Die with the unit that will be introduced this year.
Michael
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Ranch Dog wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words and a video priceless…
Thank you for the info, the pictorial and video are grand. I hope this question in my ignorance is not redundant to something I missed. I only have experience with PPM. I load only on single stage Lee presses, mostly rifle and 1 .45ACP. Would the Pro Auto Disc only use one disc for handgun loads? Would it be easier using Pro AD with adjustable charge bar for handgun? In all sincerity would I be just as well to continue PPM? I would hope to obtain Turret or Progressive in future, funds and REAL necessity being issue. Thanks again and a thank you to all those who posted such good info and meaningful questions,
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

number1wrench wrote:Thank you for the info, the pictorial and video are grand. I hope this question in my ignorance is not redundant to something I missed. I only have experience with PPM. I load only on single stage Lee presses, mostly rifle and 1 .45ACP. Would the Pro Auto Disc only use one disc for handgun loads? Would it be easier using Pro AD with adjustable charge bar for handgun? In all sincerity would I be just as well to continue PPM? I would hope to obtain Turret or Progressive in future, funds and REAL necessity being issue. Thanks again and a thank you to all those who posted such good info and meaningful questions,
Using the Perfect Powder Measure with handguns you are working at the lower end of it's ability. Both of mine units limit out at .25 cc. I suspect that you are using something around .50 cc with the 45 Auto so the PPM isn't at it's limit for your particular pistol cartridge.

Are you using the Powder Through Expander die for anything? What I mean is are you flaring the case mouth to accept an oversized bullet? If not and it light of the expense of adding another tool, I wouldn't change a thing. You have to move a case to and from the PPM but you are going to do the same thing if you start charging the case.

If you are flaring the case mouth, you can combine the that operation with the powder charging step by using the Auto Disk or Pro Auto Disk. If you have no intent to move to a greater capacity case, pistol or rifle, I would use the basic Auto Disk personally especially if the cost is any consideration. An adjustable charge bar is nice but not necessary.
Michael
number1wrench

Post by number1wrench »

Thank you, I am not loading an oversize bullet at present, possibly near future if I decide to attempt cast in handgun. If I decide to do cast I will certainly consider the aforementioned use of powder through case expander die and one of the Auto disc PM.
motard

Post by motard »

Bought one ppm yesterday. Conditioned with dropping in a bounche of graphite powder throught the drum and tested with granular and stick powder. Very smooth and enaught reliable for what I could see. HAd not the time to scale each load so I grabbed a vintage jewelry to basket mini scale and start dropping alternate charges in the two basket. Minimal difference balancing after 6 or 7 per side.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”