New Pistol Decapping Pin

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: New Pistol Decapping Pin

Post by mr surveyor »

weaselfire wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:simple for me .... I use a Lee Universal decapping die for everything...
Same here, but doesn't change the fact that sometimes pins get bent or broken. I tend to adjust them a little loose so a hard primer will push the pin and not bend it, but I still occasionally miss a berdan-primed case or have really obnoxious military brass.

Jeff

Yeah, Jeff, I understand where you're coming from with that. I don't punch any combloc cases or milsurp, so I don't really have a dog in that hunt. I do love the Universal decapping die though :D

JD

edit to add: By the way .... long live the Lee Hand Press, Bro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Just use one of these for military brass or a steel punch.

http://www.titanreloading.com/service-p ... -die-parts

comes in 4 sizes.
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Does anybody have new information on performance of the new decapping pins? Good, or forgive the word, bad reports would be apreciated. I have to advise a couple new reloaders about which die sets to purchase soon, and I have not yet put my hands on one of the new decapping pins. PM me if you would like.

Thanks,
Steve
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

All my die sets came with the new pin, and up to now I didn't experience any problems. Even when I tried to deprime a Berdan case it didn't bend or break.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I got 2 of the new decapping pins today for the universal decapping die. I use a loadmaster for decapping with universal decapping dies in stations 3 and 4. I have 3,000 fourtys to decap. When I am done,(should be this week end) I will return to this thread with the results. The 2 pins that are in it have been there for over 6,000 cases, 40, 223, 380, 30-06.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

You have two decapping dies installed in the same toolhead? Why that?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Steve

Post by Steve »

Fyodor wrote:You have two decapping dies installed in the same toolhead? Why that?
When I used to prime on the loadmaster I found ocasionally a primer would hang on the decapping pin and be pulled back into the primer pocket. I think as the shellplate rotated the primer was pushed the rest the way in by parts of the carrier casting. That naturally messed up the next primer.

When I started priming off the press I still used the LoadMaster to decap. With one decapping die I found some casses with loose primers when I was priming them. I put the second decapper on and the problem went away.

http://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=360
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

OK, I understand. I decap either in my pro1000 or with the Harvey deprimer, and I know your problem from the pro1000. I got used to watch the spent primer chute with every pull, and when no primer drops, I'll stop and check. Your system is way less prone to failures,I have to admit. I might get a second decapper at some time, too.

Steve

Post by Steve »

I had a flu shot in my right arm. I have decapped 2,000 fourties today, first 1K took 1 hr 10 min with preparing and lubing the press, the second thousand took 54 minutes and my arm said it quit.

The decapping pins did not get damaged, so I am going to give them my stamp of aproval and continue to recomend Lee die sets and as I have always advised with any die set, spare decapping pins/mandrils.

By the way, I tighten my decapping pins down to where they will not slip. I went the route of letting them slide, then had to sort cases and do rework. Now I just keep spare decapping pins, if one won't push the primer out it lets me know there is a problem when it breaks.

The picture below shows how I have the tool head setup. The die in station 2 is a Lee universal flaring die. It's purpose is to open up the bent case mouth of range brass that has been dented.

The flaring die gave me a bonus I hadn't thought of.... When a 380 or 9mm case is in the 40 case the flaring die gives enough resistance I can feel it, and the odd case will stick on the flaring die punch. I stop, clear the incorect case, continue without a crash. Happy Days!

When I took this picture I think I was decapping 380 auto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great ideas!
Michael

Return to “Handgun”