The decapping pin works intended

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Reloader
My Press Choice: Turret

The decapping pin works intended

Post by Reloader »

I was loading some mixed 9mm brass on my Lee Classic Turret press. A few of the brass decapped fine but wouldn't accept a new primer. No problem as it was easy just to discard the case and resize another.
Finally I had one that wouldn't let me pop out the primer. The decapping pin slid up in the collet without causing any damage. Reset the decapping pin and I was back in business.
Last edited by Reloader on 22 Oct 2014 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: The decapping pin works intended

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeso, they work well!
Michael
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

Only downside: I was loading on my pro1000, when at some point I wasn't able to seat the primer correctly. When I checked what happened, I had two primers on top of each other... the spent one and the new one.

The decapping pin didn't bend or break, but it slipped without me realizing it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Reloader you might want to start checking your brass's primers for crimps. It's rare that they won't deprime but getting a new prime inserted ain't gonna happen until that crimp is removed. A good pocket knife can do it but your best bet is a chamfering tool use case mouth. It'll ream out that crimp and save ya some brass from being tossed.
Do a google search for primer pocket crimps to see a bunch of pictures of what a crimp looks like and other methods for treating them.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

crimped in primer pockets are getting annoyingly common. I gave away a bunch of .357 magnum cases that were crimped. I finally broke down and bought some tools and last bought the Dillon Super Swage 600. That's now the only tool I use for this issue. It's not cheap but it's by far the best tool for the job.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Reloader wrote:Finally I had one that wouldn't let me pop out the primer. The decapping pin slid up in the collet without causing any damage. Reset the decapping pin and I was back in business.

Had a box of Winchester White Box do that to me last year. After the 5th one pushing the pin up broke out the Lee Loader and deprimed with a hammer decapping rod.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Handgun”