.45 ACP expander issue

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

.45 ACP expander issue

Post by Fyodor »

Hi guys!

Finally I got my lead round nose bullets and primers for the 45 to start developing my load. I got about 50 cases to start with, and I bought a shellplate carrier and a three die carbide set from Lee for my pro 1000.

I can feel that the expander catches the brass, because it gets a bit stuck when pulling out of the die. But the case mouth is not belled at all. Bullets won't sit in the case mouth, but on top of it. They won't feed into the seating for without my fingers holding them in place. On some bullets lead shavings occur. This really messes up headspace and won't change correctly in my 1911.

I tried screwing down the expander die, but it won't bell correctly even when the die body touches the shellplate.

Do I make something wrong, did I buy a "Monday morning" die set where the worker was still in his weekend? Or is that normal? Anybody got an idea how I could get this expander die to expand the case?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .45 ACP expander issue

Post by Ranch Dog »

I can feel that the expander catches the brass, because it gets a bit stuck when pulling out of the die.
The pistol resizing dies do not use an expander, the all use the pistol decapper (#90027). What you are feel is the case moving back past the carbide ring in the base of the die.

I tried screwing down the expander die, but it won't bell correctly even when the die body touches the shellplate.
This might sound, well simple, but do you have the funnel adapter (or Auto-Disk) screwed into the top of the die? It needs one or the other to act as a stop for the plug to act against. I shoot a .457" bullet in my Taurus PT745 and have no trouble expanding the case for my needs.

Will be gone all day but will check back in the morning.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Yes, I meant the prefer through expander, not the decapping pin expander as in rifle dies.

You're post did help a lot, but in an unexpected way:

I bought the die set, turret and pro auto disk separately. I did remove the funnel adaptor and installed the auto disk measure.

What I didn't see was the O-ring on the measure. So I had two O-rings installed, which lifted the measure a little bit. I didn't have time to try it again, but it looks much better now with the measure sitting close to the die. By pushing a case in by hand I noticed it catches much earlier. Maybe this was the solution. I'll report after testing.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal!
Michael
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I had the same issue with my Lee 45ACP dies. The taper on the powder through die that expands the mouth isn't long enough to flare for cast lead bullets. Also there is a step at the top of the taper that will not allow the tapered stem to go any farther into the case. I just put an old Lyman expander in my turret. If I didn't have the extra Lyman die, I would have reshaped the expander with a file and my drill press...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hmmm... I wonder what is different about mine. I'm using the PTE die to flare the case to accept a .457 cast bullet. I have an Auto Disk mounted on the die and have no issue with the flare or AD function.
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

Actually, that's the only problem I've had with any Lee dies (I now have 9 sets). I purchased the 45 ACP dies in 2008, and when I discovered the problem I disassembled the PTE die and checked the expander. Yep a step at the end of the taper would stop the case from going any farther. Worked as designed for jacketed bullets, but not enough to stop shaving lead on my .451"-.452" cast SWC...
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

The powder through die works just fine on the 45 acp and 380 auto to flair the mouth just enough for lead bullets.
Je suis Charlie
guncheese

Post by guncheese »

Speaking of expanders
A range buddy of mine works at a chrome shop
So i had him hard chrome a few of my expanders
They can control the thickness and what came back is amazing
They are the right size
They are forever hard
They are so smooth you can't even feel your expanding
Really need to get some Lee type made up custom size to the right depth and get them chromed
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Hello. I'm having an expander problem with 45ACP and saw this thread so figured I'd post here instead of another new thread...

I just bought a used but very nice condition Loadmaster. I have it set up and mostly working correctly. Before this I had the classic turret press. On the turret press if I adjusted the expansion on the powder through/expansion die, if I set it too low it would create a huge unusable bell. I was able to go from barely expanded to WAY too much. On the Loadmaster no matter how low I seat the die into the turret it does not expand the mouth at all.

I have the die seated just above the plate, the autodisk screwed into the top of the die and the autodisk adjustment thumb nut adjusted just tight enough to allow free movement of the autodisk but not loose enough to be sloppy. The rubber O ring is installed at the base of the autodisk threads and I do not have the other O ring that comes with the funnel adapter installed. It creates no expansion at all and the bullet just barely sits on top without falling off. I am using Berry's 230 Gr. RN bullets. I'm pretty sure I have it adjusted as best as it can be and I don't think I'm missing any parts. I thought about putting something inside the die like a washer on top of the expansion plug to try and take up any slack that might be in there but I shouldn't have to. Any idea what's wrong here?

Return to “Handgun”