Which powder for 9mm?

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Which powder for 9mm?

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have been using Bullseye in 9mm....haven't tried anything else because it works well for me. I have some HS6 to try and I guess I could use CFE223 that I bought for 5.56X45. I haven't found a use for Unique but I have some.

I use an RCBS Uni-flow if that matters.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

GasGuzzler wrote:I use an RCBS Uni-flow if that matters.
It helps to hear what people use and how they use it. I too use an RCBS uni-flow for rifle and a similar Hornady measure for pistol. I want to give the new Lee Auto measure a try too.

They all have their powders that they handle well so I use that type with my loads. If I am using a powder that does not meter well I use a Lyman DPS.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I've used at least 6 different powders for 9mmL. Every one of them worked well enough to give me very good target results. I'm sure after the next election I will be experimenting with some other new to me powder. I guess what I'm trying to say is what ever appropriate powder you can get your bands on is worth trying. Yes I have favorites but I'm not concerned if it's not available.

Unique, universal, power pistol, HS 6, are the powders that I like for the 9.
Last edited by daboone on 29 Jan 2016 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Good lord man ,haven't found a use for Unique?

3.5 -4.2 under a 125 gr 9mm
4.5-5.5 under a 158 gr 38 special
Up to 6.5 under a 158 gr 357
4-5.7 under a 175 gr 40 S&W
4-5.5 for most 45 ACP
6-8 from 45 Colts under 300 gr
3-12 gr under nominal cast in 30-30 to 06' parents and siblings 22-40 cal
3-8 in non AR AR type cartridges for cast
23-27 under 1 1/8 oz in 12 ga

Off the top see particular data for a particular cartridge
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I half hate being an advocate for Titegroup since most of the kaboob stories seem to list that as the powder being used but... I've used a lot of it this last couple of years because it seems to keep popping up as available more so that the rest. In a 9mm case you should find it easy to see the powder charge but just like Bullseye you will probably not be able to see it in tall brass like a .38 special. Worse, and still just like Bullseye, you can't hardly tell a double charge in a tall case. That being said, I have six or seven different powder measures and I've not found one yet that Titegroup doesn't flow well from it. It's not a compressed charge in 9mm but it burns clean, offers average velocity, and as the name says it does seem to produce accurate loads if you take your time and test them out.
r1200r
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by r1200r »

I've had good results using Accurate No.5 and titegroup. As others have said, keep a close eye for double charge on titegroup. I typically run 115gr and 124gr Berry's plated round nose.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Is your 9mm a short barrelled compact? If so, you might see if you can find some Alliant BE-86, it is a lot like Power Pistol but without the nasty flash you can get with Power Pistol. Other powders that I have used, Unique, Bullseye, W231/HP-38 (shhhh don't tell anyone, they are the same exact powder), Blue Dot, and BE-86. Mostly what I have used is Bullseye and 231. Most of what I load now in 9mm is with BE-86. I also use an RCBS Uniflow.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

There were mentioned several very good powders in the above responses. I have used with success most of them. The thing is there is no such thing as the BEST powder, because there are too many variables. Each gun is different and may respond differently with each person who shoot it. The shooters purpose or the needs required are a factor. Sometimes it boils down to what is available. The answer you seek, grasshopper, comes from emptying several 1lbs cans of different powders while keeping NOTES about how each powder worked for him with each of the different components he used. Best of all is the trigger time learning what does what. Actually trigger time is probably more important than the powder (components) used. The more trigger time the better the shooter can respond to the conditions of the load being shot.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Good words, Dan. Over time I've used a lot of those powder to some degree of success in the 9mm except for the BE powder. Today I'm adding another CFE Pistol, not so much for the CFE additive as I shoot mostly cast but because I can fine loads in pretty much all bullet weights across my spectrum of current pistol interests. Right now that is the 380 ACP, 9mm Luger, 357 Mag, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I suspect that given the range of cartridge capacities it's going to be a compromise somewhere in that group but I shall see.

Now an LFE additive in rifle and pistol I'd be all over.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Reloader

Post by Reloader »

I use Titegroup in my plinking loads. I also use Power Pistol on occasion.

Return to “Handgun”