bullet seating die issue

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
flyboy
My Press Choice: Turret

bullet seating die issue

Post by flyboy »

I have had an issue with the last two lee 9mm bullet seating dies I have had. after using them for a short time a ridge form on the inside of the die and that ridge begins to shave the edge of the shell casing.Can someone tell me why this is happening how to solve the problem and if this shaving will weaken the case? Thanks. Carl.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: bullet seating die issue

Post by horseman »

Are you possibly seeing the crimp part on the inside of the seating die. Try backing the seating die out a turn and see if the issue is still there. Come back and let us know what you find out.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Are you able to post a pic of the problem? Otherwise I'm stabbing in the dark at answers. It could be the crimp section like the previous poster said, it could be lead shaving from the bullet during seating is building up, or it could be something else.
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

I have removed the seating part of the die leaving just the die body itself and the die still shaves a flat spot on the case.I will try to post some photos if I can figure out how. But there is a ridge around the inside of the barrel of the die body. I don't use lead bullets if that helps . Thanks for the information.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Poppop »

I get that sometimes, but it is because I don't have the cartridge set properly in the shell holder. Check the shell holder for dirt or a small obstruction in the groove.
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm always quick to defend Lee but it could be a bad die. Don't give up yet though. Make double sure everything is clean. Let the solvent set in it for a while and see if any buildup breaks down to be scrubbed free.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

flyboy, I see in your profile that your choice is the turret. Have you checked the index set up? I would say that the press is slightly out of alignment. I've had this happen. Every bullet seating die is going to have the ring you mention as it also must be capable of providing the crimp.
Michael
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Thanks for all the great info I will work on cleaning things up.Do you thing it would help/hurt to run a brass bore brush thru the die? Also I have removed the indexing rod from the turret press and I rotate the disk by hand could this be part of the problem? Thanks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

flyboy wrote:Thanks for all the great info I will work on cleaning things up.Do you thing it would help/hurt to run a brass bore brush thru the die? Also I have removed the indexing rod from the turret press and I rotate the disk by hand could this be part of the problem? Thanks.
I still think it is not a die problem but a "index" problem. Have you checked to see if the turret head is properly indexed (aligned)?
Michael
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

Could be the hole tapped crocked or out of alignment that the seating die is screwed into. That would through the mouth off the die out of alignment. Try shifting the dies 90 degrees in the turret. If the problem moves to another function it will show you the problem is in the turret hole spacing. I had a couple Loadmaster turrets that way.

Return to “Handgun”