thinking of buying a new rifle

Open forum for rifles.
beekeeper

thinking of buying a new rifle

Post by beekeeper »

For me it will be a completely new experience as I have always played with old Milsurp rifles.
Talking to a shooting buddy who makes custom rifles and knows the kind of shooting I do.

His recommendation is a Remington 700 in 6.5 creedmoor!
He has one and has taken both deer and elk with it.
Uses it mostly for target shooting which is what I would be doing with it.
Have never shot one as do not shoot another mans weapon so am asking if anyone has one and what do you think about it? Good or bad

beekeeper
Last edited by beekeeper on 26 Jan 2015 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: thinking of buying a new rifle

Post by akuser47 »

I don't have one, but I'm curious about this caliber. I'm subscribed to your thread bee. Hopefully Someone chimes in.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

akuser47 wrote:I don't have one, but I'm curious about this caliber. I'm subscribed to your thread bee. Hopefully Someone chimes in.
I'll second that. +guns
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:
akuser47 wrote:I don't have one, but I'm curious about this caliber. I'm subscribed to your thread bee. Hopefully Someone chimes in.
I'll second that. +guns
I'll 3rd that. If it's primary use will be target wouldn't it be wise to get what performs at the ranges you plan on shooting?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I looked it up just for fun .
It is a Hornady creation from a 308 parent slightly shortened . For a more direct comparison it would be closer to say it was a neck down no trim 300 Savage or a necked up 250. It is apparently readily out preformed by the 6.5-284 or 6.5x55 because of their greater case volumes . Hornady offers 6 loads that on their website run about $47/20 for both target and hunting work it looks like it favors 110-125 gr bullets in the 26-2800 fps range .

I read a couple of articles some time back in Rifle or Handloader that stated like the Hornady site and Wiki that it was designed from day 1 to be a target cartridge.
I see a value in it in that if it doesn't work out you can ream to 6.5x55,260 Rem or 6.5-284.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Strictly from what I've read, if I wanted a lightweight hunting rifle for cow elk and less, that could pull double duty as a target rifle, the creedmore or 260 are top notch. Other than availability of brass, I think their differences are pretty negligible until you get into target shooting way out there. Lots of people would probably tell you either would be fine for bull elk. In my mind though, it's best to have plenty of thump ready for that one in a thousand monster you hope to run into. Bring the THUNDER! For a dedicated target rifle the old 243 has a lot to offer. Low recoil, low bullet cost, brass offered by everyone that makes brass, and bullets of all sorts.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

357cyrus wrote:Strictly from what I've read, if I wanted a lightweight hunting rifle for cow elk and less, that could pull double duty as a target rifle, the creedmore or 260 are top notch. Other than availability of brass, I think their differences are pretty negligible until you get into target shooting way out there. Lots of people would probably tell you either would be fine for bull elk. In my mind though, it's best to have plenty of thump ready for that one in a thousand monster you hope to run into. Bring the THUNDER! For a dedicated target rifle the old 243 has a lot to offer. Low recoil, low bullet cost, brass offered by everyone that makes brass, and bullets of all sorts.

I have a bunch of 243 I found at the range. So you are right about that round.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Rifle Discussions”