9mm Luger Loader with HS6?

The little red box that started it all!
oldfart64
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

9mm Luger Loader with HS6?

Post by oldfart64 »

newby on the site, I used to load shotgun shells with a lee loader and I think I have the basics down, the only question I have right now is this: I wll be loading 9mm luger rounds, I have chosen to start, cci small pistol primers, winchest 124gr FMJ projectiles, and Hodgdon HS6 powder. Using the included information sheet, it shows the same powder charger with every bullet and powder combination (the .5cc). My question is, (since there is no print out of my combination) Is it safe to use.5cc of Hodgdon HS with the particular bullet? or can I only use the powder mention with the closest bullet to the one I have chosen. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by oldfart64 on 14 Sep 2018 06:38, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Retitled to help with "Similar Topic" search at bottom of page
Regards from
THE Old Fart

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 9mm Luger Loader with HS6?

Post by daboone »

I'm certain most of us know what it means to reload on a budget. However I strongly suggest you get a reloading manual. Even your loacal library will have some manuals available. If that is out of the question then go to the powder companies web site. https://www.hodgdon.com/hs-6/ It sounds as though you have the Lee loader instructions but they are available at lee's web site. http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RE1423.pdf I also strongly suggest you get a gram scale either a beam or electronic. Lee's in the least expensive and is extraordinarily accurate. Also a complete set of lee dippers are well worth the infringement on your budget. But a single dipper used as a powder dipper into a scale will work as well. Heck I still do it on a load work up.

DO NOT every attempt to guess load data by substituting powders or bullet weight. I personally will not except load data from any source other that from manuals or the companies online site.

You are on the right track. I am sure, knowing the great guys on this site, other will post a BOAT load of info you help you out.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Accept and except sure mean different things and I've learned a lot more from people and doing than books that don't come close to agreeing with each other. In the end, find your own way using common sense as well as all available info YOU decide is trustworthy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have and use the Lee dippers when I am making up just a few test loads. It is much faster than setting up the powder measure. The dippers are consistent if you are consistent in the way you fill and level the dipper. Until you practice and verify your weights with a scale many times, do not trust the weight of powder.
Get a scale and use it. I would also buy a reloading manual, I have a bunch of them and check them against each other. Sometimes they have errors. There are also many free on line.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...2016_Web-1.pdf

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

https://www.hodgdon.com/resources/data-sheets/

Ideal #38 http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/IdealHandbook38.pdf

If in doubt, keep asking questions.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

oldfart64 wrote:My question is, (since there is no print out of my combination) Is it safe to use.5cc of Hodgdon HS with the particular bullet? or can I only use the powder mention with the closest bullet to the one I have chosen. Thanks in advance.
The answer to your specific question is, yes. If your load card for the 9mm Luger with the .5cc dipper, lists an HS6 charge for a bullet that is heavier than 124-grains, you are good to go. The pressure generated at the shot will be less than what was considered with the heavier bullet data. This is part of the instructions, somewhere, and is a note in Lee's Modern Loading as well.

I don't have a Loader for the 9mm Luger but does it list such a charge with HS6? Lee's Modern Loading lists dipper loads and I do not see a single HS6 .5cc dipper charge for this combination.

I am of the school that the Lee kit was intended to be simple and not need all the other stuff and I used it as such for a decade as a kid with the 30-30 Win and 308 Win and never had any problems. Based on what I know now, the toughest part of using the kit as it was packaged is determining what the minimum cartridge overall length would be. Lee states to use a factory cartridge with a similar bullet weight to set up bullet seating but what about when you don't have one?
Michael
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

The answer to your question is NO from what I can see. According to Lee's scoop chart the .5cc will be 7 grains of HS6, according to Hodgdon, HS6 max load for a 9mm with 124gr projectile is 6.6 grains.

Lee's Powder dipper chart

You can use one of the links that others have provided for Hodgdon reloading for your particular combo.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

cj8281 wrote:The answer to your question is NO from what I can see. According to Lee's scoop chart the .5cc will be 7 grains of HS6, according to Hodgdon, HS6 max load for a 9mm with 124gr projectile is 6.6 grains.

Lee's Powder dipper chart

You can use one of the links that others have provided for Hodgdon reloading for your particular combo.
I had a bit more time this afternoon and would agree with cj, HS6 is just not going to work out. I have a bunch of different dippers and thought I would help a fellow out if another one would work out, but it just isn't going to happen with HS6.

Below is the Hodgdon data for the Sierra FMJ which should be very close in length to the Winchester bullet.
9mm_125_data.jpg
dipper_HS6.jpg
The .5cc dipper, according to the current Lee chart, would deliver 7.0-grains which is greater than the max charge. The next smaller dipper is the .3cc, and that would deliver 4.2-grains which is substantially less than the minimum recommended charge.

Sorry dude, you going to need to come up with a different powder. Hopefully one on the Loader's charge table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Needs a 0.4 dipper
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:Needs a 0.4 dipper

a piece of .32 acp brass, a little filing to size (checking weight/volume very closely with a scale while modifying the brass), and just a plain old wire paper clip handle makes a serviceable, custom dipper.

but, no doubt that you already knew/done that, GG. :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
jloader

Post by jloader »

Here's a pic of a 'custom' dipper. Just make sure not to have a live primer there... :)
Like Mr Surveryer says... you could just use a paper clip as a holder. Maybe add a bit of epoxy if you don't want to solder.
custom-dippers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Lee Loader®”