Lee Loader for my Swede

The little red box that started it all!
Salvo
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee Loader for my Swede

Post by Salvo »

Years ago, I was collecting military rifles, bolt guns from WWI and II. For each gun that I intended to shoot, I would buy a Lee Loader, as I never shot any of them in high volume.

This worked out for me very well. The recommended loads that came with the Lee Loader were always as accurate as the guns were.

I wound up selling the entire collection due to a financial pinch, and I believe that including the LEE Loaders with the guns served me very well. I got good prices on all of them.

A few years later, I found a Swedish Mauser in such pristine condition that I just couldn't resist it, even though it had been over fifteen years since I had had a military gun in my safe. It was a real beauty, and by habit I bought a Lee Loader for it.

Fooling around, I decided to try the B-Square no-gunsmithing scope mount for the Swede, which clamped onto the rear sight. They said it would not mar the gun at all, and I decided to test that claim. For a sight, I paid 25 bucks at WalMart for a red-dot sight.

About that time, my daughter Celeste was deeply involved in a PC game called Medal of Honor. She was fifteen at the time, and in the game she always eschewed the Thompson SMG and the Garand to use the Springfield 03 sniper rifle with the scope on it.

I invited her to shoot the Swede with me one day and to my surprise, she was very enthusiastic about the idea of shooting a real rifle. I set up a target for her at 100 yards, having already sighted in the gun. She sat down and proceeded to fire the three rounds that I gave her - all into one inch!

Needless to say, I preserved that target and still have it on file. I do not believe that I have ever felt more proud of my little girl, now all grown up with a family of her own.

The B-Square mount worked as advertised, and the loads I knocked out with my Lee Loader produced ammunition for that rifle that were accurate enough for my daughter to delight the old man with her shooting that day.
Kind regards,
Salvo
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lee Loader for my Swede

Post by Ranch Dog »

All is good to hear!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

It makes one feel good when your kids shoot good with bullets you made. Now if I can just get my grandson to take his grubby hands off my rifle I might have some fun too. LOL :)
Je suis Charlie
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

WOW! 15 years old and already a Marksman. Good going Dad...
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Sweet I like to read that. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great story. Glad you shared.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

6.5 Swedes are as accurate as they come! And they don't punish the shooter. Love 'em. One of my all time fav rifles is a Win M70 FW in 6.5 Swede. Killed more deer (German Reh and US whitetails) and hogs DRT over 30 years than all the rest of the guns I hunt with combined! AND was the rifle son #4 (have 5 boys) killed his first deer with at 12. 20 yds quartering - looked like he tipped an archery silhouette target over!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I love hearing rifle histories. I don't buy a used gun without wishing some type of log was passed along with it.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

We own five of the Swedes - 2 long rifles, 2 short rifle and a carbine. I each of the rifles are maybe historical as they came out of Mauser Werks before Swedish production started at Carl Gustav. Before we got it the carbine had a receiver sight and a Lyman globe added to it with out modifying the gun, the sights were work to fit. Anyway it's a nice accurate piece but with full milspec loads it's beat the heck out of you.

Been a big fan of 6.5mm bores for some time.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Lee Loader®”