Lee pro1000 cases binding on chute

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee pro1000 cases binding on chute

Post by Fyodor »

Howdy!

When I set up my new pro1000 recently, I experienced the same thing that had been reported to me by several other users. The deprimed cases or finished cartridges don't fall off the chute, instead they bind, pile up and eventually one can get squished.

From my last visit on a large industry trade fare I got some sample of "igus tribo-tape". That's a thin sheet of plastic with very low friction coefficients, made to make things slip easily over a surface. But it can be mounted using standard two sided sticky tape. So I cut a piece in the correct size and shape and stuck it into the chute. See pictures for details.

Not a single case or cartridge ever did bind again, every single one slips off the chute like it was kicked down the chute.

The igus company usually does ship free samples on request, but it seems the product is not available in the US yet. I can try and order some sample material and send it over, if you like. I still got enough for one application here.

Last edited by Fyodor on 25 Jun 2014 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lee pro1000 cases binding on chute

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks like a simple, easy fix! I don't have the press but I bet you get some takers on the tape offer.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Is that a Teflon surfaced tape?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

It's not Teflon, it's some other material that igus developed. It's similar slippery but it's way easier to mount, since it's nearly impossible to glue Teflon.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I made a second version, that has a better fit and is much easier to stick on.

One of my shellplate carriers is equipped with this version, the other isn't yet. I'll try to make a short before/after video for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Update:

I made some videos of cycling .45ACP through the press (cycling only, decapper die is installed to index only) in original condition, an installation guide for the tape and another video of cycling the brass with the tape in place.

Some cases didn't want to slip into the shellplate easliy. This is because the .45ACP carrier is brand new and not run in yet. This happened on the .38spl at the beginning, too, but is gone now. I guess it will disappear on this carrier also.

The videos are on dropbox, you'll have to download them first (large files!). I'll see if I can remaster them and put them on youtube at some time.

original condition
installation
modified

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”