3D Printed cartridge block

Reloading widgets!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 3D Printed cartridge block

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

That printer gets good write up and recommendations on the various groups. For that use you might want to investigate the assorted nylon filaments that are available. I've not tried any of them yet since nearly everything I print is either low or no stress so i get away with PLA or ABS.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:That printer gets good write up and recommendations on the various groups. For that use you might want to investigate the assorted nylon filaments that are available. I've not tried any of them yet since nearly everything I print is either low or no stress so i get away with PLA or ABS.

Make smoke,
Here is a table of the various printing material strengths. I ordered the nylon as a starting point. The printer comes with a sample spool of PLA, hopefully enough to make the part so I can compare the two materials. As this is a buffer, I think either two materials will be good, 1/3 of the pressure the cartridge produces.
materials_01.jpg
Now, I just have to draw the thing to the proper dimensions.... ugh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Now, I just have to draw the thing to the proper dimensions.... ugh.
Michael, what is this draw thing you speak of? Might be easier to describe in OpenScad...

It's basically the difference between the union of two offset rectangular solids and a cylinder. I sent you a PM with the OpenSCAD code in the body as your system doesn't like attachments with the extension of .scad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks buckeye, I really appreciate it.

Here is the image as a png from openSCAD.

After the printer arrives, I can work with this and refine it to minimize any manipulation after the print. I will start a new topic with this work.
Michael
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks buckeye, I really appreciate it.

After the printer arrives, I can work with this and refine it to minimize any manipulation after the print. I will start a new topic with this work.
You are very welcome. Didn't want you to get too frustrated trying to model this using a traditional CAD program.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks buckeye, I really appreciate it.

You might want to increase the $fn to 100 to smooth out the curves and save sanding. I think you'll find that PLA is lacking in impact resistance for a buffer. Not sure what Taurus uses in the original. I know on a whim I printed some 1911 buffer with ABS and they lasted maybe 30 rounds. Little bits of plastic all over the inside of the pistol, but it was an experiment and now that I have a machine that can handle other plastic I may try something else.

Enjoy the ride,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just a thought but you may want to look at PETG, said to print like PLA and to be somewhat flexible. Water bottles are made from it.

Make smoke,

Return to “3D Printing Projects”