22 LR ammo

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

22 LR ammo

Post by Steve »

Starting to see 22 ammo again in eastern Iowa. Today I went in the "Hammer and Wedge" to shoot the breeze with the guys, they had 22s. I got a Remington bucket of LR, 1,400 rounds for 75 bucks + tax.

Have seen 22s recently at other places with prices just a little higher than they used to be. Although they all sell out rather quickly, they are getting it in more often. Most center fire has been available for quite a while. Primers are available locally and powder is starting to turn up.

A couple stores were gouging a year ago and I won't buy from them anymore. I thought it was pretty bad when I bought guns and a lot of ammo in the past, then they try to rip me off for a lousy 4 or 5 bucks on a 3 dollar box of 22s. They lost a customer, I told them on the spot.

I'll be glad when those people hording 22s wake up some morning and find out it's worth 1/2 what they paid for it. And I hope they have stored it in a hot shed.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 22 LR ammo

Post by akuser47 »

I'm still hoping to see federal bulk 22 back at walmart someday.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I'm still waiting to see some at Some at of a reasonable price.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

well, I guess we'll never again see 50 count boxes of .22 short, long and long rifle sell for 29 cents, 39 cents and 49 cents :(

seems like only yesterday ;)

jd

oh, this is a partial box I found stuck back in a box a while back. I bought it in the late 70's at a local drug store .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The good old days!
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Scored a box of Federal 525 value pack at D*ck's this after noon. Price wasn't to bad 19.95 but you could only get one and the worst part was standing in line for a half hour in the freezing cold. :o
Last edited by 62chevy on 27 Nov 2014 21:44, edited 2 times in total.
Je suis Charlie
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Well, 20 bucks for a brick pack is where I've set my max limit for .22 lr. I've still got two bricks left from 2007, and haven't shot more than 100 rounds of .22 cal in the last 4 years. Heck, with 158 gr rnfp cast bullets a buddy keeps me somewhat supplied with (we "trade" quite a bit), I was loading .38 spl and light .357 mag rounds cheaper than the gouger prices for most .22 lr ammo. I really do miss the days when I could take my grandson to the range a blow through a brick of .22 in a couple of hours. If the prices drop back to what I'm willing to pay, I'll add a couple more .22 handguns again .... if not, there will be some traded for something more useful.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

It's really strange... when it comes to powder, bullets, casings, factory ammo, guns... whatever has to be shipped from the US to Europe is very scarce, I'm already waiting over a year (!) for some cans of TrailBoss... They always say, America's served first, and what's left goes to the rest of the world.

This doesn't seem true for .22lr ammo. Even if there is not a single plant in Europa any more, we have planty of that, and for affordable prices. The last time I bought some was mid of this year, and I paid 3,-€(about 4USD) per pack, and the dealer was surprised I only wanted 200 rounds, he's not used to sell individual boxes instead of bricks.

Funny :D
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Fyodor it's not the manufactures causing the shortage here but hoarders and resalers/gougers buying everything in site. Went to D*ck's sporting goods yesterday just to be able to buy one brick of 22 LR. Stood in line for a half hour waiting for the store to open at 5 pm. I was back in the car by 5:07 heading home and was told by one less fortunate they sold out by 5:30. I was close to the door but the line to get in went over 200 yards into the parking lot. Not every one was looking for 22s some wanted rifles and other ammo and saw one guy buy a bow but the vast majority wanted 22s.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

62chevy wrote:Fyodor it's not the manufactures causing the shortage here but hoarders and resalers/gougers buying everything in site. Went to D*ck's sporting goods yesterday just to be able to buy one brick of 22 LR. Stood in line for a half hour waiting for the store to open at 5 pm. I was back in the car by 5:07 heading home and was told by one less fortunate they sold out by 5:30. I was close to the door but the line to get in went over 200 yards into the parking lot. Not every one was looking for 22s some wanted rifles and other ammo and saw one guy buy a bow but the vast majority wanted 22s.
This is sad but true. I have a cousin that works at walmart. He has the truck crew put aside cases of ammo federal bulk n such. He is on gunbroker he sells the 550 bricks of federal for 90 plus shipping. Sad part is he is loaded. I mean filthy rich. He buys and collects military vehicles. Dauce n half's, armored transports. Just for starters. Yet he sees a need to deprive general folks of access to .22.
[emoji35]
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”