Going plinking

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Going plinking

Post by Steve »

I don't want to admit how many years ago that I got this Winchester, it was my first rifle. I'm taking it shooting tomorrow and do just some tin can shooting. The way I remember it I was 13, my friend wanted 15 bucks for it, I could scrape up 14 dollars, he sold it to me. My Dad helped me repair worn parts on it, then no little critters were safe within walking distance of home.

My dad said I could charge ammo to him at the feed store. I shot up over 15 bucks worth of 22 shorts the first month,,,, the old man cut me off of the free ammo so I had to shoot and sell rabbits to get my ammo.

Some day I will try taking some better pictures. It has a lot of ware, but is in better shape than I have seen other model 1890s in the fine gun sections.
Win1890-001.jpg
Win1890-014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Going plinking

Post by daboone »

Awesome. Great story and what a beautiful 22. Your story resonates to similar circumstances long ago (circa party-line phones) when my dad cut me off on the free 22 ammo as well. All my chores went to the 22 fund. :D

Thanks for sharing memories!
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing!

At that age you're not even allowed to touch an airgun on a range in Germany... I'm totally jealous.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:At that age you're not even allowed to touch an airgun on a range in Germany... I'm totally jealous.
Yikes!!!

Steve, I owned a Rossi 62SA, not even on the map near your classic but was a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I had bought it from my FFL during one of his weak moments of selling a personal firearm. It was bought with the promise that I offer it back to him first if I decided to sell it. With the lack of rim fire ammunition, I recently returned it to him.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks for the picture of the 1890 model, Steve. I had one for 35-40 years before gifting it back a few years ago to the guy I originally got it from. Made my most "memorable shot" around 1977-78 with that fine .22 short only gun, and have no idea how many thousands of rounds I put through it since 1970. Giving that gun up was tough, and still leaves a hole in my life, but the friend I gifted it back to has completely changed from a non gun person (not anti gun) to a multi gun owner, avid range visitor and now reloader since that day.

There's just something magic about those original 1890 gallery guns :D

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Nice, I just inherited a 62 galley gun a 62 b both worn but they shoot well.
I'm tempted to restore the b model reblue I need a tank. Then refinish the stock. I sure would like to see it like it was new.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Didn't get out today.... Nuts...... Oh well, if weather holds I'll get the old 1890 out this week end. I really got the bug to shoot that thing now. I doubt that I can shoot it like I did as a kid, hope I can see the sights, the way I remember them they were really clear, I don't expect that now.
Steve

Post by Steve »

mr surveyor wrote:Thanks for the picture of the 1890 model, Steve. I had one for 35-40 years before gifting it back a few years ago to the guy I originally got it from. Made my most "memorable shot" around 1977-78 with that fine .22 short only gun, and have no idea how many thousands of rounds I put through it since 1970. Giving that gun up was tough, and still leaves a hole in my life, but the friend I gifted it back to has completely changed from a non gun person (not anti gun) to a multi gun owner, avid range visitor and now reloader since that day.

There's just something magic about those original 1890 gallery guns :D

jd
I can remember shooting up a storm in a shooting galery at a fair with my Dad. I think at that time I had already learned to shoot with a pellet rifle. Dad was bank rolling me so he could show off my shooting that day. I must have only been about 10 then. Thanks for bringing up the memory mr surveyor.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Got to shoot the old 1890 today. The sights don't seem as good as they did 50+ years ago and it isn't as steady as it used to be. But I still blasted the crap out of a couple of spray cans and a bottle of water.

Nice to fire this baby again. The last time I shot it was over a year ago. What it's use has been for quit a few years is shooting birdshot at wasp. It's a great wasp killer.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Went plinking today with my future S-I-L. I wasn't sure how he would react to this being from LA. This weekend was the first time I met this fine gentleman. Well we have a new convert to the shooting world. He loves it and will be a fine shooting pardner in the future. I was concerned I might have to pry my M1 Carbine from his hands however. :lol: He shot several WWII vintage rifles and handguns and did serious damage to the pumpkin, apple and orange targets. A proverbial duck in water he was. :D

Plinking is now and always a GREAT family activity.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”