Hog with Mini-30

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Hog with Mini-30

Post by 62chevy »

Interesting design RD and way different than what Lee offers. New to all this so not sure how this is better than the Lee designs other than it fills the chamber better.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:Interesting design RD and way different than what Lee offers. New to all this so not sure how this is better than the Lee designs other than it fills the chamber better.
The idea in cast bullet design is you seal the bore/groove with lead before any of the combustion gases start moving along and ahead of the bullet. This movement of gases produces the etching that causes the results shooters call "leading". None of the bullet offerings I've looked at take the freebore in this cartridge into account and is why none can be shot at the SAAMI pressure levels without issue.

Freebore has a several uses in chamber design. It can improve cartridge feed, especially with semi-auto actions and it can get high pressures of a chamber quicker that a chamber with no freebore.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
That is a good read. I would also be glad to be rid of that big feller. To bad horses do not figure out they are bigger and more than one mean pig. With lead missles I am more coovinced a caliber .30 is as small as I want to be throwing at critters that weigh more than 75 pounds.
Throat area ! The key to cast bullets. I would not be surprised if 50% of all cast shooting issues are not related to the throat area. The other 50%.. 20% too small diameter and 20% badly made bullets and 10% other issuse that can be overcome. ( bullet base pressure, mold problems...)
That is a fine looking bullet and will make many a fat throat rifle sing.
Mike in Peru
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Bad boolits I resemble that remark but hopefully this summer will make me a better boolit caster.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”