Powder temperature sensitity

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Powder temperature sensitity

Post by Steve »

beekeeper wrote:I understand the use of varget and 8208 in most temps is great except if you don't already have it you ain't gonna get any , at least in the area where I live anyway.

None of the LG's around here have seen Varget since 2008 and $33.50 a lb for 8208 is a little more than I want to pay.
Holly cow beekeeper, I don't blame you on not paying that much for powder. I guess it's been a couple months ago I bought a 8 pound container of 8208 XBR for about 20 bucks a pound. From what you say maybe I better enjoy it while it last.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

The results of the fire and ice test with IMR SR4759 are as follows.
Bullet used was a NOE 7MM bore rider weighing 153 grains with gas check and lube.
NOE doesn't have a designation other than 287-150-GC but you can look it up on their web page
All shots were taken at 100 meters.
The Cold first.
Loaded rounds placed in freezer for 24 hours before shot and carried to range in cooler on top of a blue ice.
Mixed brass , mil-spec and civilian.
6 shots with an average speed of 1871
ES of 58
Best shots were with 30/06 Mil-spec brass formed into 7x57MM brass.
Brass was LC 63 match brass

The hot shots.
Mixed brass mil-spec and civilian.
Rounds placed on dash of car for 1 hour before shooting them
6 shots with average speed of 1898
ES of 42
Again best shots with mil-spec brass formed from LC63 30/06 match brass

Averaging the hot and cold shots you get an average speed of 1885 and an average ES of 27

Cold shots held 3 o'clock 1 inch group and the hot shots held a 1 1/2 inch group at 5 o'clock so my impression is the cold rounds were a slight bit better.
The IMR SR 4759 is a good powder for what I am using it for and my impression is at 100 meters the temp has little or no impact.
I did not shoot it past 100 meters but my friend who shoots looong range says it might make a lot of difference at 800 and beyond.
Since I shoot only lead I doubt I will ever need to worry about going past 465 yards.

Hope the data is of use to someone!

beekeeper
Last edited by beekeeper on 29 Sep 2014 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Used alox for lube in the manner RD uses.
Had a lot of leading in barrel when I cleaned it.
Do not know what if anything it had to do with the hot, cold testing or if it was just one of those things that happen ever so often.
Will use my regular lube on next batch and see if it leads as well.Maybe caused by different powder?
Will let everyone know next week.

beekeeper

Return to “Rifle Reloading”