Long Chamber

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Long Chamber

Post by RBHarter »

2 suggestions .
If fire forming is the prime quest of firing a particular cartridge 3 gr of Unique and the case filled w/Grits ,Cornmeal or Cream of Wheat will do the trick even getting from 270 to 280AI . I had some bbl shipping tubes when I did the last batch in the garage . I wrapped the bbl for rub protection and to seal the top and put the muzzle end in a box of rags the maximum report is like a loud primer pop. It will move the brass around to get the shape but the sharp edges are absent. I'd guess it generates 8-10 kpsi. Load em' and shoot em as the meal and cereals will soak up humidity and could get hard .

I didn't think of it at the 1st go probably because I thought the shells were loaded already ,but a 243 expander would open the neck then short or neck size the case until it will just chamber w/ the false shoulder for headspacing .

The 40 I have I had to max out w/a 401-175 TLSWC to hit the sights. Its so easy to shoot that those loads aren't harsh ,my 5'5'' GF shoots it fine.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:2 suggestions .
If fire forming is the prime quest of firing a particular cartridge 3 gr of Unique and the case filled w/Grits ,Cornmeal or Cream of Wheat will do the trick even getting from 270 to 280AI . I had some bbl shipping tubes when I did the last batch in the garage . I wrapped the bbl for rub protection and to seal the top and put the muzzle end in a box of rags the maximum report is like a loud primer pop. It will move the brass around to get the shape but the sharp edges are absent. I'd guess it generates 8-10 kpsi. Load em' and shoot em as the meal and cereals will soak up humidity and could get hard .

I didn't think of it at the 1st go probably because I thought the shells were loaded already ,but a 243 expander would open the neck then short or neck size the case until it will just chamber w/ the false shoulder for headspacing .

The 40 I have I had to max out w/a 401-175 TLSWC to hit the sights. Its so easy to shoot that those loads aren't harsh ,my 5'5'' GF shoots it fine.
Thanks RBHarter. I will keep the Unique and cornmeal in mind. But I do want to shoot cartridges I already have loaded. Two of the loads I have shoot very good in this rifle, and I have a lot of them. When I reach 500 rounds fired in this piece I will reload for it in the fire formed cases. It is nice to know in the future if needed I can still use FL sized/loaded cases with tape or something on the shoulder to make them fit.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I found those pieces of label I stuck on the shoulder of the case coming off in my pocket. So I pulled a few of the bullets from my loaded ammo, receated them long enough to push hard into the riflings. They stay seated in the case if ejected without firing. I am just going to work up the load for the Rossi with the bullets starting in the riflings.
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Chickenthief »

Why not just seat the bullet long so it is hard to close the bolt.
This will hold the brass back against the firing pin and make perfect brass without "weird" dimples in it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Chickenthief wrote:Why not just seat the bullet long so it is hard to close the bolt.
This will hold the brass back against the firing pin and make perfect brass without "weird" dimples in it.
Yep. That is exactly what I have finally done. Works ok, 100 yard group is a little larger. I'm going to just work up a load for this rifle with the bullets started hard into the riflings even with the fire formed cases.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

sounds like a potential over-pressure scenario to me, but I'm still an old, rank rookie reloader myself

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Steve

Post by Steve »

mr surveyor wrote:sounds like a potential over-pressure scenario to me, but I'm still an old, rank rookie reloader myself

jd
Thanks for the advice mr surveyor, but the load I am using shows no high pressure signs, plus this same action and heavy barrel is available in powerful rounds.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Steve wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:sounds like a potential over-pressure scenario to me, but I'm still an old, rank rookie reloader myself

jd
Thanks for the advice mr surveyor, but the load I am using shows no high pressure signs, plus this same action and heavy barrel is available in powerful rounds.

Steve

I was more concerned about the forcing of the bullet into the lands. I've always heard you needed at least a couple thousandths "jump" ....?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

A maximum load on the lands can cause problems. If the load has been worked up ,then the bullet is seated long to touch you will gain case space and a pressure reduction. In this case I don't see any major pressure jump potential. In this particular case there is a case growth adding to the pressure ''control''.

You are correct in that if a load were at the top end and placed into a tight chamber in a different gun and was touching or even tight the pressures could jump massively.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks fellows, all advice given on this subject is true and good. Variables come into play and caution is required with all reloading.

Steve

Return to “Rifle Reloading”