Best powder to start with..

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
drew765
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Best powder to start with..

Post by drew765 »

I'm planning on loading my 40... Do I just pick a powder for pistols.. Kinda confused where to start
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Best powder to start with..

Post by Ranch Dog »

drew765 wrote:I'm planning on loading my 40... Do I just pick a powder for pistols.. Kinda confused where to start
Did you get Lee's "Modern Reloading" with your loading kit? That is where you need to actually start. The load data in the book will give you the bullets weights, your choice, and then the suitable powders that you will work with. Due to availability of both bullets and powders, these carts need to be carefully studied.

Have you been looking at powders locally? Do you know what is on the shelves at your retailers? We could also take that route.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Just like Rd said take a good look in your manual for the specific caliber and make a list (now for the 40S&W that may be a loooong list). Some folks will swear by a particular powder and then some of us just swear for the heck of it. :roll: Some worry about this or that powder being dirty or smoky or metering poorly or not filling the case or etc,. (I must admit the filling the case idea is a good one just for safety sake but smokeless powders don't hold a candle to BP for smoky and dirty and most of us aren't snipers :shock: ). In this day and age it's sometime requires not being to particular and have a list of alternatives. If the powder is listed in a manual on the shelf why not give it ago? I assure you that a pound of powder will be used up quickly then you can try another powder that is highly recommended and available. ;)

Being a new reloader I would like to suggest that you get a composition note book or keep some kind computer WP file on your loads and opinions about how that powder/bullet combination work for both the function of your gun (how did it sound,feel, operate) and on the target. After a few pounds of powder you'll be an experienced expert on that 40 of yours because you'll know for a fact what works best! :D
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
drew765

Post by drew765 »

I really appreciate all the info everyone! I googled gp dealers near me I have an alliance dealer close but I have a local shop closer I will check out what he has tomorrow morning..
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Drew765, I shoot a lot of 40 S&W. The bullet I have shot over 80K of are 180 gr truncated cone (180 gr TC) most of them from http://www.twoalphabullets.com His prices are very reasonable, he ships everything flate rate mail. (I'm lucky, I live in driving distance of his place.)

I got a Lee mold 175 gr of the same design to start casting a few of my own. I have found the TC design bullet to feed really well and shoot acurately in the 40.

OAL length for my cartridges is 1.135" I use standard or magnum primers and Rex #2 powder loaded to 935 fps in a 3-1/2" barrel.

Stay away from Remington 1-1/2 primer. They are intended for low presure cartridges like 380 auto. 40 s&w is a high presure load.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Follow manaul
recommendations always
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Alliant's "Unique" is good powder for a lot of cartridges.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Yep Unique is my answer . I have the 401-175 SWC TL for mine and get about 950 with the book maximum load and 4" off hand groups at 25yd .

Do check your manuals and your available shops,some where in the middle you will find a key.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw

Post by larryw »

Everyone has given you the BEST advice in the handloading world.
Manuals, Manuals, Manuals....."Follow them always" !!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Wicked251
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Wicked251 »

Unique is great, but very hard to find. Just like many others

Return to “Handgun Reloading”