What is your favorite 40 S&W load?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
ljnowel
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: What is your favorite 40 S&W load?

Post by ljnowel »

Steve wrote:Got my Daughter setup with a XD 40 sub compact. Wonderfull pistol. Now I have to reload a lot more 40 s&w.

My pet load that runs well in her XD is lead 180 gr TC.

OAL length 1.135" Feed is reliable on the XD and M&P with this oal.

935 fps out of my 3.5" M&P compact

Rex 2 powder (vel varies a lot with different batch numbers, so it's not good to list the weight I am using.

Primer = any not including Remington 1 1/2. Going from std to mag only makes 15fps difference with this powder.
I'm primarily a lead shooter, with the exception of some carry loads(though several loads I carry are lead too) but I love 180 grain anything in 40S&W. The lighter bullets are cheaper, but the 180s have a longer bearing surface. The longer bearing surface equals better case tension leaving you with a less likely chance of setback. Using lead helps too being .001" bigger.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If anyone wants to push the .40SW to its limits then find some Longshot powder. Wow. I've shot softer shooting 10mm loads. And they swear it's within SAMMI limits.
Spizzer
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Spizzer »

Maximumbob54 wrote:If anyone wants to push the .40SW to its limits then find some Longshot powder. Wow. I've shot softer shooting 10mm loads. And they swear it's within SAMMI limits.
I have been shooting Longshot quite a bit in my .40 S&W. It has the nickname "Loudshot" as it does seem to be a heavier load with louder report and recoil. However, I recall from somewhere it actually runs at a lower pressure so is not as hot as it seems. One I like is with a 165 grn FMJ, Lee .57 disk which says 7.5 grns but weighs out at 6.8.
norcal31
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by norcal31 »

Just loaded up 200 .40 with 155 gr. Berrys hbrn with 7 gr. of ramshot silhouette

Return to “Handgun Reloading”