9mm brass

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

9mm brass

Post by scotland »

Well... finally finished depriming, polishing and sorting the 1000 rounds of once fired brass from "Brass by Bill". Didn't find any bad oned and only a few odd ones.

As you can tell the majority are FC with Win being next. Then others. Just curious about who doesn't or does sort their brass and how. Any comments on like and dislike for particular brands?
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: 9mm brass

Post by mr surveyor »

for middle of the load chart range loads, I don't worry about separating most handgun brass. Just shoot it til it thins, won't securely hold a primer or the case mouth splits. If I plan to load +p or magnum rounds, then I do segregate the better brass for the specific purpose. At least 75-80% of my brass is mixed headstamp though.

I don't load a lot of 9mm, but I still can't resist picking up all the 9mm range brass, bringing it home, depriming it, running it through the ultrasonic bath and bagging it up. I wish revolver brass was as prevalent as 9mm :lol:

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 9mm brasd

Post by 62chevy »

I don't sort because I load for the the smallest charge that will cycle my gun. If I was shooting competition then I would short but seems like a lot of work for little gain. I can see the benefit for long range rifle competition but not close range hand gun.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I sort for headstamp. Win is the most common for my local ,so thats what I've kept. I run a just over middle load in mine and found several brands that would bulge w/cast for my gun and those and others that would begin to flow std primers . The Win brass fits my load and gun and while Rem and Federal are there theres just 10x as much Win to pick up and it usually the least expensive loaded ammo.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Howdy Scottland, All "new" brass I do keep together by head-stamp & loading's,
Range pick-up is kept separate from new & sorted by head-stamp if I have
enough, usually 4 boxes (200) or more. This is just a habit I got into years
ago when doing a lot of long range accuracy work. In all reality, for general
plunking & casual fun target work No I don't, don't see a need.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

I don't sort pistol brass for any practice or ipsic matches either. I develope my loads using mixed brass to find what will give acceptable accuracy at major power factor.

I do have a couple loads I use for accuracy shooting and pistol hunting. These loads get as much care as my rifle rounds.
jrobin3360

Post by jrobin3360 »

Used to sort brass by headstamp when I first got into reloading. My fired brass ended up mixed with range pickups. Got to be a PITA resorting it all so I stopped. It still gets inspected for serviceability though.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”