380 auto loading

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

380 auto loading

Post by Steve »

Recently while loading 380 Auto on the Loadmaster I had Perfecta brass that would not slide into the 4s shell plate.

I can feel the stoppage immediately so I just remove the case from station 1 and continue loading. I will reclaim the primers from the Perfecta cases then pitch the cases so they don't migrate from the range back into my brass.

(Reclaim primers) I have used a Lee Loader decapping pin to remove good primers from cases many times. The primers worked fine when put in another case.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 380 auto loading

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steve wrote:(Reclaim primers) I have used a Lee Loader decapping pin to remove good primers from cases many times. The primers worked fine when put in another case.
Same here, never a problem. I bought a huge lot of old but new Winchester 300 Savage brass that was primed at the factory. I want the brass sized before use and I suspect it was fairly old so I wanted to anneal it before use as well. In the meantime, I used all 750 primers across a wide range of my rifles. I use my Lee Challenger press, just cleaned the tube out well and started punching them out.

Still, I have the need to pull components from small runs of ammo like when a load doesn't work out or if I need to pull a bullet. If I pull a bullet the brass always gets resized to uniform the neck tension with the other rounds in the lot. In that case, I still use the Decapper on the Challenger press but I drop a spent 32-20 Win case down the hole that leads to tube and pick the primers up out of the reservoir. The 32-20 Win case fits the hole like a glove and I keep a spent case by the press.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've reclaimed plenty of primers but I only do it when I know what primer it is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I've only run across one Perfecta case and that was a 9mm. I've read though, of Perfecta cases being a bit sloppy in the QC dept. and some rims being thick...
Steve

Post by Steve »

mikld wrote:I've only run across one Perfecta case and that was a 9mm. I've read though, of Perfecta cases being a bit sloppy in the QC dept. and some rims being thick...
I have to say that I was a little surprised because I am sure I have loaded 40 S&W Perfecta cases with no problem.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

My 9mm Perfecta cases are sorted into the misc bin.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”