Loading 380 Auto

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Loading 380 Auto

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, I got my 380 Auto on yesterday and today. I've been using Universal but have a old can of Hercules Unique that it is time to use. Of course 4.1-grains is going to take a real long time to empty the cannister!

I'm using my TL358-100-RF bullet the little Taurus TCP (738B). I did some upgrades to it; it has the Galloway Sweet Spot Trigger, the Reduced Power Hammer Spring, 12# (vs. factory 9#) recoil spring, and the stainless steel guide rod. All this makes the TCP a sweet mouse gun. I chose it over the 3AT because it has a slide lock and over the LCP because the TCP also has the slide lock on the last round fired for tactical reloads. In other words, it is a full feature CC handgun.

I've got three of these little buggers; two are 32 Autos.

Oh, the ragged hole has four bullets through it.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

I like the features and the price is still gtg as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Steve »

I picked up another thousand 100gr 380 bullets today. I have been loading them over 2.6 gr of Rex2. They really shoot good but the Rex powder smokes like a steam engine. I got enough for another 10,000 rounds so I will be shooting it for a while.

When it is gone I will probably go with CSB1.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I finally got around to loading up some .380 and the Auto Drum was a no go. I couldn't begin to get a routine powder drop. Then the smallest cavity on the Pro Auto's disk was far too big. It was time to break out the Uniflow. I should have just done them on the Classic Turret and used a funnel in the powder die but for some reason I decided to be stubborn and do them single stage priming the cases by hand. Wow, I always forget how SLOW that process is. At the start is has a stoic bit of nostalgia going for it but about five or ten minutes into it I start to get that itch that I'm slowly going nowhere. And having to handle each piece of brass over and over again... Turret presses dump that behind. Just that one part of not touching the brass over and over again makes it so much faster. But because the turret still only does one operation at a time there's no way to futz up the whole process like a progressive can.

Oh, and now Titan gets more of my money on their Micro Charge since it's the more affordable option of the two available. More gear.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Haah, always something taking the money!

I've got to load some more 380 Auto over the long weekend. Actually have quite a bit of rifle reloading to do as well as I get ready for my desert mule deer hunt. I need to shoot quite a bit next week just so I'm ready.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I finally got around to loading up some .380 and the Auto Drum was a no go. I couldn't begin to get a routine powder drop. Then the smallest cavity on the Pro Auto's disk was far too big. It was time to break out the Uniflow. I should have just done them on the Classic Turret and used a funnel in the powder die but for some reason I decided to be stubborn and do them single stage priming the cases by hand. Wow, I always forget how SLOW that process is. At the start is has a stoic bit of nostalgia going for it but about five or ten minutes into it I start to get that itch that I'm slowly going nowhere. And having to handle each piece of brass over and over again... Turret presses dump that behind. Just that one part of not touching the brass over and over again makes it so much faster. But because the turret still only does one operation at a time there's no way to futz up the whole process like a progressive can.

Oh, and now Titan gets more of my money on their Micro Charge since it's the more affordable option of the two available. More gear.
From what I have read I am surprised the Lee Autodrum doesn't take care of the small charge.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I can no longer explain it. At this point I feel like it's an accident that it works one minute and not the next. As in when it's working right I don't even know what I did to get it to work.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I can no longer explain it. At this point I feel like it's an accident that it works one minute and not the next. As in when it's working right I don't even know what I did to get it to work.
You didn't hold your mouth in the right position. :?
Je suis Charlie
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I can no longer explain it. At this point I feel like it's an accident that it works one minute and not the next. As in when it's working right I don't even know what I did to get it to work.
LOL, remember when it messed up & you cussed it?
Well, it didn't forget?????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

larryw wrote:
LOL, remember when it messed up & you cussed it?
Well, it didn't forget?????
You cussed a Lee product and expected it to work properly afterwards? You are going to have to apologize to it, buy it a present and take it to dinner at a new restaurant. It doesn't like the one you're taking it to now.

Return to “Handgun Reloading”