What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: What Bullet Casting Did You Do Today?

Post by RBHarter »

I finally got to cast with the 358-200 RNFP Lee 6C. Seems to be ok , :) I apparently got all the oil out of it :) . I don't recommend the 36 hr 500 degree heat soak :) . I cast 6 pours and got 20 keepers .
I also ran 30 454426 in a single C Ideal , 12 pours for a 6C 452-255 RF for 52 keepers , 25 pours in a NOE 260-120 FP 4 C for 75 keepers . I have trouble keeping the NOE hot the 1st 10 pours and get the Ideal too hot after 10-15 pours ,my ladle is too small and needs 2-3 dips to pour the 452 255 6 C .
I got the 260-120s checked last night as well .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm starting to see the light in bullet inventory. Those that need to be "rebaked" are just about caught up. With those, I do add a fresh coat of Ben's TL.

Actually going to start on some new loads for my Marlin 1894CL chambered in 32-20 Win using my TLC313-115-RF. Will be using H110 and Lil' Gun.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

RBHarter wrote: ,my ladle is too small and needs 2-3 dips to pour the 452 255 6 C .
I got the 260-120s checked last night as well .
What ladle are you using I have the Lyman and the Lee ladle but prefer the Lee for my two cavity molds. The Lyman is probable good for a 4 cavity mold and maybe a small 6 cavity.
Je suis Charlie
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Take a look at the Rowell ladles. They have a one pound capacity that ought to pour the biggest 6 cavity mold. I had a link to one of the on line metal dealers that carries them but can't seem to find it right now.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/ladle1.htm

Rotometals is the only place I know of off the top of my head.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

1 of these days I'll give up my broom stick soup spoon for a real ladle . It will only pour about 800 gr at a time . In the mean time it's cast 15-20,000 bullets about 85% of which went down range . KISS .
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Got the first pan full of big 40's pan lubed. Then had to leave to run some fiddly little details like catch the primer sale at Cabelas and stuff like that. I'll p[op those out of the cake this evening and get the rest of them lubed so I can get some more 40-65 stuff loaded.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I ran about 15# of NOE 225-55s and 279-124s on Sunday . The 225-55 drops at 62 gr and is very similar to both the Lee and RCBS 22-55 moulds I was pleased that it shot well in the 222 and the 223 .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

TLC310-165-RF for my Rem 722 chambered in 300 Savage and the TLC452-330-RF for my Rossi 92 chambered in 454 Casull. Used the new alloy mix I've started to work with of 6:4# linotype to wheel weights. According with my new plan of not casting large lots of bullets, only poured about 50 to 60 of keepers each.

I'm really happy with my housekeeping I did this year concerning the cast bullets I had laying around. It forced me to shoot firearms that have been idle for awhile and focus on reducing this inventory by sending them out the end of a barrel rather than casting other bullets for other rifles that I favor.

Some, like 30-30 Win bullets, will never need to be cast again as I found that I had thousands from different casting sessions stored in different areas all lubed and gas checked. I did not know I had so many.

The short runs I did for these two cartridges were a pleasure to put together! Casting, gas checks, & sizing plus three coats of Ben's Liquid Lube recipe was completed in spare bits of time in during my day. These rifles are not range rifles, I'm looking at two years worth of bullets for killing hogs and deer plus the shooting of a gong before the hunt.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

You guys make me ashamed of myself. I haven't cast, reloaded or shot a round in months..Pro melt has an inch of dust on it. :shock: Admittedly I only cast bullets for my 44's, 45 colts, wife's 357's and an occasional 45-70 round. The 9mm eats RMR plated or jacketed and I use jacketed bullets in ALL my hunting rifles. But lately I find myself more and more pulling away from the hobby's and I really can't tell you why. Mostly I believe because I just haven't been doing ANY shooting at all. No shooting, no reloading. Can't seem to find any one around here than wants to go burn up ammo, and I get bored shooting at targets by myself anymore. So the only thing gun related going on right now for me is I'm re-doing the stocks on my 1970 era Parker Hale 06' (very nice wood) and an AYA 12 gauge double from about the same time. I'm 4 coats into each one with hand rubbed Tru Oil with about 15 or so more to go. One coat at a time with a day between coats at best, 0000 steel wool before the next coat is applied. Takes awhile but the results are always very nice. The hardest part is putting everything back together right.... :D

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”