QuickLoad Tips

Load From A Disk, QuickLoad, or other software generated load data.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

QuickLoad Tips

Post by 357cyrus »

Just looking to start a thread with tips on how to use QuickLoad. I got my copy the other day and the instructional PDF seems to be more of "this button does this" than "this is how you get the info you want". That being said this video seemed to get me pretty well on my feet, [youtube][/youtube] I followed the instructions in the video, and after taking the average H20 capacity of five 223 cases I'd fired in the rifle, I plugged them into the program. I was amazed! It put me within 20FPS of the velocity I had recorded over my chronograph(which before i got quickload the velocity i'd recorded was not what I expected from that load) This is what I'd been hoping for.
The next day I plugged in the numbers for a 25-06 load I'd tested.... no such luck. Quickload said the velocity I recorded shouldn't be showing up until I add another 3 grains of powder. I tried another 25-06 load I've tested, and two 7mm Rem mag loads. None of the results were that great.
I did get close with one of the 7mm mag loads after I adjusted the air temperature, and the seating depth in.
The biggest surprise to me is there doesn't seem to be a way to enter in a maximum OAL for your rifle with a specific bullet. I thought that would have an impact on velocity.
The next surprise to me was how much I could get a case's H20 capacity to change, while still having a convex meniscus on top (which is how i understood it should be taken) It seemed i could suck up over a grain of capacity with a paper towel and still be convex. Any pictures of where you fill it to measure would be great! Thats it for now break is over!
Last edited by 357cyrus on 08 May 2014 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: QuickLoad Tips

Post by 62chevy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3RkvTxW4lE

EDIT: That's not what I wanted was trying to get the Youtube feature to work guess it's broken.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3RkvTxW4lE

EDIT: That's not what I wanted was trying to get the Youtube feature to work guess it's broken.
Nope, the forum isn't "broken", you are using the wrong link. The link in your post is the web page url and the video cannot be live from that link as that is for the youtube web page only. The needed link is short and looks like this:

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://youtu.be/a3RkvTxW4lE[/youtube]
You must use the "youtu.be" extension and the youtube BBCode brackets on each end. The youtube tab in the topic editor explains this on mouseover as does this topic: Posting a YouTube link!

Here is the video with the correctly posted BBCode...

[youtube][/youtube]
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:The biggest surprise to me is there doesn't seem to be a way to enter in a maximum OAL for your rifle with a specific bullet.
Save them as individual cartridge files. You should create a working bullet, cartridge, and propellant file for your use rather than working in the QuickLoad reference files included (qloadfw.bul, .vol, and pro).This way there is no change of any of your working data removed in a update. OAL is recorded in the cartridge file (.vol) and in this example you can see that my 30-30 Win info has a number of different OAL references.
QL_01.jpg
You can see that when I add a cartridge to the rifle that I use some type of reference to the firearm, cartridge, and OAL. In fact, I'm trying to get better at it and slowly work through all of my listing with exactly that reference.
QL_02.jpg
The next surprise to me was how much I could get a case's H20 capacity to change, while still having a convex meniscus on top (which is how i understood it should be take) It seemed i could suck up over a grain of capacity with a paper towel and still be convex. Any pictures of where you fill it to measure would be great! Thats it for now break is over!
I've always used a FLAT surface of water at the case neck. I use a Kleenex as it seems to be a better controlled "seep" than the immediate absorption of a paper towel. Using a flat surface ensures that you are getting a consistant fill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Thank you much Sir! I'll play with that tomorrow and see if my results are better.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Also, now that I think back. The 223 was also the only capacity average I took where each was close to flat.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: AW: QuickLoad Tips

Post by Fyodor »

Ranch Dog wrote: I've always used a FLAT surface of water at the case neck. I use a Kleenex as it seems to be a better controlled "seep" than the immediate absorption of a paper towel. Using a flat surface ensures that you are getting a consistant fill.
That's it. Only a flat surface is repeatable within the needed accuracy.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:You must use the "youtu.be" extension and the youtube BBCode brackets on each end. The youtube tab in the topic editor explains this on mouseover as does this topic: Posting a YouTube link!
I wanted to add that some YouTube videos cannot be live in a forum post as the owner did not select youtu.be option when posting the video.
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

Has anyone played much with adjusting "powder burn rate factor" to match velocity data you've personally recorded with a chronograph?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

357cyrus wrote:Has anyone played much with adjusting "powder burn rate factor" to match velocity data you've personally recorded with a chronograph?
Thought about it but haven't done it.
Michael

Return to “Generated Reloading Data”