.223 cast bullets

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
beekeeper

.223 cast bullets

Post by beekeeper »

Does anyone here cast for .223?
I am casting for it using a NOE 55 grain mold and with standard gas checks getting gas check pushed up the side of the side of the bullet.
Gas checks are .011 thick and gas check shank reads .215 .
It is extremely hard to run through the Lee .225 sizing die even with Johnson paste wax rubbed on them before sizing.
Makes no difference whether copper check or aluminum check.
Do not have a mike with small enough pin to measure thickness of copper check.

Any Ideas?

beekeeper
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: .223 cast bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

I cast a .225 bullet for my 218 Bee. Whenever I have issues with a gas check, any size, one thing that I do is try sending the bullet through the Lee sizer check first (nose on puncher).
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I'm casting for a 222 but I've not shot any yet.

Are you running them in the sizer nose or base first? I don't check mine at this point, I've become fondbof the paper patch. I also have only had the 222 about a year, I didn't get a mould until May and just haven't had time to work with it.

Arbitrarily I would suggest a slicker lube for sizing, I favor STP or a roll pad case lube (the old RCBS case lube was STP). I would also go with a nose 1st sizing /gc method I don't think that a check can get away if it's between the bullet and the push anvil.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I think RD was saying the nose goes through the Lee die last and the gas check first.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:I think RD was saying the nose goes through the Lee die last and the gas check first.
Yeap, only if I'm having trouble seating the checks.
Michael
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

After several days of tinkering I have found that the 223 bullets that I am casting hate the standard 223 gas check.
When installing them nose first- or gascheck first through the Lee 224 sizer the normal gas checks will smear up one side or the other of the bullet.
After tinkering with several thicknesses of aluminum gas checks I have found that .008 gas checks work perfect and have zero failures with perfect seating.So far every thing looks like a go!

Have a roll of aluminum on order and If and or When my 223 handi rifle ever gets back from H&R I will give them a try
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I started to prep some of my 7.62x39 bullets with gas checks and discovered that they where a tough fit, bullets aren't the best because I rushed the casting session, and I was seeing the poor gas check fit that you mentioned. I think I was casting too hot as the bullets are slightly out of round, an issue with aluminum's response to excessive heat. I took a couple of photos but will detail this in a separate topic.
Michael

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”