Quenching bullets

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
Chickenthief
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Quenching bullets

Post by Chickenthief »

Something moving cant be static, thats my point.

I didnt argue what happens inside the animal just the misnomer "static"
Think of the science field "fluid dynamics" because it moves it's not called fluid statics.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Wow! All dem numbers is givin' me a headache...
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Lot of info to keep track of here. That's why I set my bullets to stun, then walk up and club my game to death. More work but cheaper than a second cartridge.

I'm too scrawny to take a 500 pounder on my chest, glad there ain't any in this neighborhood. My eyes can't take much of that shock.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Pretty interesting stuff to read as I'm sitting here having a cup of coffee and watching snow coming down. Critters are all fed so the rest of the day appears to be mine, (however it is still fairly early :) ) As far as water "dropping, quenching" whatever you want to call it vs air cooling, it's a known fact that the alloy has to contain certain items to "cold water harden". I have done both. The alloy I use is mostly just WW and if air cooled come out at 11-12 BHN, if I drop from the mold into cold water they end up at about 18. Whether or not the "quenched" bullets "age soften" or not, I don't know to what degree as I have never "rechecked" at a later date to see because anywhere in that range is fine with me. I water drop simply because it's quicker to get them done. I generally size and lube within a couple days and put them away. I've not had any issue with either of these methods for bullets fired in my guns at up to 2000 fps. I try not to over think things anymore that aren't of a more "critical" nature. :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Funny you should mention aging bullets. I know it happens as I've experienced it but I just don't know exactly when it happens. All of my rifle bullets of of my design with Micro Bands for tumble lubing and gas checks. I cast with a 95/5, wheel weights/tin alloy, plus I add #8 shot for the antimony. The are water dropped and I see 21 BHN pretty quick. In fact, I'm always sure to size within 48 hours as they continue to move a point or two north. That all good for me as I shoot them at jacketed bullet velocities. I've also learned to cast them in very small lots no more than two years worth at a time.

I use to cast large lots but have moved away from that and I have a recent case in point. I haven't shot many rounds of 35 Rem in the last few years but I'm getting my Rem 600 up to speed and the same for my Marlin 336D that I've just converted to a XS Scout. The trouble I've run into is that my supply of bullets is about 8 years old and I was having some problems with the 600 at 42.0K PSI. I pulled out the LBT BHN Tester and sure enough, they have run out of steam. The now sit at 15 BHN so I've backed of the pressure a bit and will shoot them up.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

RD maybe you should try heat treating them. I don't do any of that as all my shooting is low pressure and low speed.
Je suis Charlie

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”