Lee Factory Crimp Die

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Salvo
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Factory Crimp Die

Post by Salvo »

I'm wanting a good 223, with the endless supply of free brass. My son is sorting a bucket full of miscellaneous 223 brass as I write, as I have worn out the last batch of LC brass that I had. - The primer pockets are getting too loose, so it is time to retire them.

With the free brass, bulk-bought bullets and relatively small powder charges, 223 is one of the cheapest centerfire rounds to shoot, if not the cheapest.

I'll either re-barrel this action, or just buy a new Howa barreled action with the 20" barrel in 223. Either way will cost about the same... A barreled action can be here in five days though. That's a lot quicker than having a new barrel threaded, chambered, mounted and finished at another shop that is likely to be snowed under.

If I get a new barreled action, then I can give this one to my brother. - He'll shoot anything.
Kind regards,
Salvo
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Might up the charge a little more if you have the bullet seated that far out. Thanks for the pics.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Salvo wrote:I'm wanting a good 223, with the endless supply of free brass...With the free brass, bulk-bought bullets and relatively small powder charges, 223 is one of the cheapest centerfire rounds to shoot, if not the cheapest.
I understand. Hard to beat a 223 for cost. I reamed a barrel to 30-223 and still haven't bought a piece of brass.
Salvo wrote:I'll either re-barrel this action, or just buy a new Howa barreled action with the 20" barrel in 223. Either way will cost about the same... A barreled action can be here in five days though. That's a lot quicker than having a new barrel threaded, chambered, mounted and finished at another shop that is likely to be snowed under.
How about pulling the barrel and taking to it a regular machine shop. Have them face 1/4" off the barrel, set the shoulder back an equal amount, and then extend the threads. You do the reaming yourself. Buy a reamer that suits your specs and then resell it.
Salvo

Post by Salvo »

I thought about replacing the barrel as besides the long throat, there is also a patch of corrosion about halfway down with extensive pitting.

Cost-wise, I think I'd better off with a new barreled action. A good quality barrel is going to cost about the same or maybe a bit more, by the time the machine work is done. Another consideration is time. I can have a new barreled action in hand in five days.

I think that I'd be happier with the faster 1:9" twist on the new barreled action too. - I've got a lot of match ammo on hand with 72 grain bullets that keyhole with this 1:12" twist barrel.

I still have the original Hogue rubber-coated stock for this rifle leaning in a corner. - I can put this barreled action back in the original stock with the factory trigger, and my brother will be as happy as a pig in slop with it, especially since it will all be free. - I've even got the original 30mm Nikko-Sterling scope around here, somewhere.

I'll go on shooting it until I'm ready to buy the barreled action. I get a break on shipping if I buy several firearms at once, so I'll wait until I can get an order worked up.
Kind regards,
Salvo
Salvo

Post by Salvo »

I think the rifle must have heard me talking about pawning it off on my brother, and decided to cooperate, this morning.

I tried out a warmish load with W748 and a magnum primer, and with a crimp of course. The wind was 15 mph or so, gusting a bit higher, quartering in toward the shooting position from 2 to 3 o'clock. I got a five shot group (50yd) of four into 3/8" and then a flyer about one inch to the left.

I tried a ten-shot group, and got seven into a 1/2" hole, with three others clustered about 1/2" to the left.

That must have been the wind of course, and couldn't possibly be shooter error. - Well, maybe! My idea of "doping the wind" is to try to wait for a lull before shooting.

I have it hitting spot on at 50yd. The first time I get a calm morning, I'll give the same load a chance at 100 yards.

While I was setting up to shoot a pair of mule deer does ran across the range, then climbed up on the berm to take a look around. Those big ears are really comical. Then they put on a fence-jumping exhibition and headed toward the base of the nearby mountain. It's amazing how they don't even slow down or break stride to hop a barbed wire fence.
Kind regards,
Salvo

Return to “All Other Tools”