Case Prep Favorite Tool

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Case Prep Favorite Tool

Post by daboone »

Summer time is to dang hot and humid for me to do much of anything but work on reloading. I'm currently working on brass prep for 7 different rifle calibers. Yesterday I did 320 30/06 cases, trimming, chamfering, primer pockets. I also got started on 100 7.5x55. Everytime I get started on case prep I am thankful for my case prep center for combining every step onto one platform. But what make that shine even brighter is the Lee 3 Jaw Chuck. The 3 jaw chuck just is the BEST and fastest case holder for that process. I added a ball handle to make it easier to hold/handle.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Poppop
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Case Prep Favorite Tool

Post by Poppop »

I'm using a drill with the adapter. I trim, chamfer and wipe the case with cloth to get the lube off, in just a few seconds
If all else fails--look for the obvious
MAGA
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Poppop wrote:I'm using a drill with the adapter. I trim, chamfer and wipe the case with cloth to get the lube off, in just a few seconds
Same here, I usually use my cordless drill, and watch tv (or try to), and trim chamfer and wipe down as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use the two part Lee shell holder in a cordless drill with the length gauge installed in the Lee cutter. Haven't thought about the knob but I might try that. I too do this operation while watching TV. My contribution here is I wear a leather baseball batting glove (quells blisters but thin enough to still be dexterous) on the hand I tighten and loosen the knurled shell holder and feed in and out brass with. I hold the knurling with my gloved hand and use forward and reverse on the drill to tighten and loosen, no manual work.

I'm not sure what the three jaw does. All my trimming stuff is Lee (actually I have an RCBS with more than a dozen arbors but I don't know how to use it and never tried) and I use a drill but would like to know more.

After a quick look at Lee's website I'd say both pieces are kinda wasted money. Maybe I'd have to post pics of the cheap Lee stuff I use to trim without the spinner stud or three jaw. Or maybe I don't understand what that $25 gets you when you have the cutter, shell holder, and caliber specific gauges.

I built a rig out of a Lyman chamfer tool, two pieces of rubber hose, and an old brake caliper bolt to make a dampened cordless drill operated chamfer tool.

I like the knob.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

This is what I use for rifle cases.

Oh and this plus a drill.
Je suis Charlie
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I use the top thing, the bottom thing, and a drill. Not sure what the other two things are for (in the OP) but I'm willing to learn.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

If your referring to my initial post bragging about the 3 Jaw Chuck it is an alternative case holder that is adjustable (3 jawed chuck). It replaces the case holder / lock stud combo with a simple twist to secure the case. One size fits all. I use a 223r case, epoxy and a ball to make it easier on my old arthritic fingers to hold and operate the 3 Jaw Chuck.

Today I started trimming case prepping some 1500 223R cases for my son. The ball handle is the next best thing to ibuprofen.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

OK. I'm starting to get it.

Does anyone know if 90607 has the same threads as the adapter in 90110? I'd rather not have to buy 90607. I'd prefer the 1/4" hex shank on 90110 to the round shank on 90607....plus the added expense.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

GasGuzzler wrote:OK. I'm starting to get it.
Does anyone know if 90607 has the same threads as the adapter in 90110? I'd rather not have to buy 90607. I'd prefer the 1/4" hex shank on 90110 to the round shank on 90607....plus the added expense.
Sorry the Lock studs that come with either 90110 or the 90401 are not the same threads as the Case Spinner Stud (90607). Like you said the shanks of the Case Spinner Stud is round and not hex like the Lock Stud. I don't know why Lee doesn't sell the Case Spinner Stud combined with the 3 Jaw Chuck. I used epoxy to secure the round shank into the neck of a 223 case and the other end of that case into the ball handle.

GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

So to use the 90608 I have to get the 90607? I'll think on that.

Return to “Case Trimming”