New primer tray for Loadmaster & Pro 1000

DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by DaveInGA »

This is just an FYI for those who have, might be or are looking for a primer tray for their Loadmaster or Pro 1000:

The old style primer tray setups for the Lee Loadmaster and Pro 1000 priming systems have apparently been discontinued right at the end of 2015. Lee is coming out with a new bench primer with a "folding tray" that will work on the new bench primer, the Lee Loadmaster's primer chute and the Pro 1000 primer chute. Here's a link to the new folding tray on Lee's website:

http://leeprecision.com/folding-primer-tray-2-pack.html

Note it isn't available quite yet, but likely soon will be, as it also works with their new bench priming system, something I'm going to buy as well.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New primer tray for Loadmaster & Pro 1000

Post by horseman »

Well thanks Dave. I was looking to buy a couple new trays to replace some older ones I have that the lids will no longer stay tight on. The old type with out the "locking tab". found out you can buy the tray, but it doesn't come with the lid... :? Now I'll just wait until these show up instead. Thanks again.
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

Horseman wrote:Well thanks Dave. I was looking to buy a couple new trays to replace some older ones I have that the lids will no longer stay tight on. The old type with out the "locking tab". found out you can buy the tray, but it doesn't come with the lid... :? Now I'll just wait until these show up instead. Thanks again.
I'm right there with you. I wanted extras so I could preload. Looks like I'm going to be waiting too.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

When I bought my press, I ordered some additional trays and covers. After some upgrades to my setup I ended up with maybe ten complete trays and a few extra covers.

If you like, I can send you two brand new covers to replace your old ones.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

A generous offer indeed. I'm not in dire need of them, I have a couple of the newer style (locking tab tray) that are fine, but like Dave (and yourself evidently) I'm just looking to set up "extras" for different primer types and/or preload some for a larger runs. But I do thank you. When the new ones come out I think six oughta do it. SP-SPM, LP-LPM, SR-SRM. and maybe a couple more for good measure...maybe ten... :lol:
DaveInGA
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by DaveInGA »

I'm in the same boat as Horseman. I don't need any, I'm just wanting extras because I want to be spoiled during reloading.:) Thank you for the offer though.
Rmelchiori

Post by Rmelchiori »

The new trays are available now from Titan. I think they're only $5. I bought a couple to see how they work.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

They are even a fiver for two trays! Way cheaper than the old design. I'll wait until the adaptor for the ergo prime becomes available and then order a few.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Fyodor wrote:They are even a fiver for two trays! Way cheaper than the old design. I'll wait until the adaptor for the ergo prime becomes available and then order a few.
I'm also waiting to purchase some XR/Ergo Prime adapters so I can combine shipping and save a few dollars before I order the new style trays. If all goes well, I'll be able to use the same trays for my off press and on press priming needs.

Looks like Factory Sales has them on back order...
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I've tested the new folding trays today.

At first I was happy to see that my federal primer packages fit on the new trays without spilling primers.

The first downside appeared when I tried to flip the primers. The new serrations don't flip them as reliably as the old style, and you need to take care that all primers stay in the bottom half of the flip tray. They won't pass the hinge without being upside down again.

The valve actually worked great, no spillage of primers, and a consistent flow.

When I was done and wanted to remove the unused primers from the feed ramp, I realized you can't push back the primers into the tray. The valve prevents backflow into the tray. Very disappointing.

All in all I'm happy that I bought so many round trays, that I won't run out soon. The folding trays will stay in the spare parts box.

Return to “On Press Priming”