Auto Prime XR

Reloader
My Press Choice: Turret

Auto Prime XR

Post by Reloader »

I used the Lee Auto Prime XR for the first time this evening to prime some 9mm brass. It did what it is supposed to do but will take some getting used to after 20 years with the RCBS hand primer. I don't know how much I will use this after finding out how well the Safety Prime on my Classic Turret Press will work once I got it adjusted but it's ready if I need it.
I like how easy it is to swap shell holders with the Auto Prime. No disassembly required. From looking at the instructions I thought swapping the large and small primer trays would be more difficult than changing over on the RCBS primer but things slid into place easily and wasn't as complicated it first appeared.
The square primer trays are a plus. The primers flip easily to the proper position with a shake of the tray. The lid is easy to remove and re attach.

When using the hand primer I had a couple of cases that didn't line up properly in the shell holder but was able to get them positioned to where they would accept the primer. No issues with flipped primers.
At least with these cases most of the primers seated easily with a moderate amount of pressure on the lever. I'd seen some videos on youtube that gave the impression it took a lot of force on the lever to seat the primers with this tool.

I've not used this new Auto Prime XR enough to fairly compare it to my old RCBS model. Apples to oranges on how they are designed, but the Lee Auto Prime will do what it's supposed to do. It will prime a lot of cases in a short amount of time and it does it at a very affordable price.

Return to “Off Press Priming”