Portable press mount

From a shoebox to an full production setup, show us how you operate! There is something to learn from everyone!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Portable press mount

Post by 62chevy »

He does have some good prices but enjoy casting to much to order any. Plus being retired I need something to do. :lol:
Je suis Charlie
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

When I start casting again I am going to run a old single cavity 30 cal Lee rifle mold as well as my 6 cavity 40 cal pistol mold. I have to check, but I think the rifle is around 160 grain, been a long time since I used it. I hope to come up with a load for the Garand. 2 alpha doesn't make rifle bullets. I will have him coat those the same time he does my 40 cal.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I almost forgot. Back on topic. This mount and the desk seem to be a match for each other. It turned out to be plenty ridged, very little movement. A brace to the front of the press will not be necessary.
wscywabbit
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wscywabbit »

Nicely done. A little ingenuity goes a long ways. ;)
In God and guns we trust; it's an American tradition!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Not bad at all as long as the desk is stable enough. I don't like any movement at all when running a progressive press.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Not bad at all as long as the desk is stable enough. I don't like any movement at all when running a progressive press.
It's very solid. The toughest chore this press will have is sizing 40 S&W. If I had to use it to FL size my 30-06 it would need a heavier foundation.

I just like this room, cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Back when I got my first turret press work space was sure hard to come up with, this setup would have sure helped me out then. Now, It's just more of my ideas to try, this just really worked out nice for me.

Got the que ball mounted on the handle today. Sure like it better than the old wooden one. They had 2 and I bought them both because I usually have to do something twice to get it the way I want. This time it came out ok on the first try so I am going to put the extra ball on my single stage press.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Was the ball already taped or did you have to drill and tape them?
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:Was the ball already taped or did you have to drill and tape them?
The Loadmaster handle has a taper on it. I ground a 5/8" spade bit close to the right taper. It didn't quite have enough taper so wobbled it around a little in the hole and it fit like a glove. I put some Elmer’s ProBond on the handle taper and in the cue ball, stuck it on, smacked it hard with a rubber mallet. Now it's on there for keeps.

My single stage press just has a bicycle handle grip on it. It will be easy, just a straight hole, glue it on.

I just discovered this Elmer’s ProBond about a month ago. This stuff will glue anything and it's waterproof.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Been wondering how they were put on now I have to wonder how the Turret's wood ball is mounted, straight or tapered.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:Been wondering how they were put on now I have to wonder how the Turret's wood ball is mounted, straight or tapered.
My old 3 hole turrets were tappered and wedged on.

The Elmers ProBond worked great on my Loadmaster to anchor the ball, but I had a tight fit with the tapper. My old Rock Chucker has just a straight 3/4" shaft for a handle. Drilled the remaining ball out with a 3/4" spade bit. The ball slipped on with a few thousandths gap. ProBond would not set, their directions say it must be a close fit. I guess they are serious, so I used epoxy for that one. These cue balls are larger than the wooden ball and are easier on my hands.

Return to “Show Us Your Bench!”