Lube Question ( I think)

Lee Liquid Alox and all other lubes applications.
beekeeper

Lube Question ( I think)

Post by beekeeper »

As I have stated before I seldom shoot jacketed bullets!
Now I seem to have run into something I have never had before.
I use a bullet lube called Bens Red. ( homemade)
I have never had it to fail and I shoot some pretty odd ball bullets.

Monday the range was 100 degrees at 9 AM.
Have never been there when it was that hot.

Shooting a 7MM Mauser with 150 grain bore rider bullets at a known target with a known load that has been accurate ( coffee cup size ) at 465 yards I was all over the place (high low and I mean low) . Nothing I did made any difference.
The gun showed no (zero) signs of leading and a recovered bullet showed no (zero) signs of skidding.
The only idea I can come up with is maybe the lube was breaking down due to the heat altho it never has before.
I did notice the barrel getting hotter than normal and real quick due to the ambient heat.

Anyone got any ideas? How would you attack the problem?

beekeeper
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Lube Question ( I think)

Post by Steve »

Maybe pressure increase do to the higher temperature. One of the powders I use with 223 Rem looses accuracy when the cartridges are lying in the sun
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It would take a bit more shooting to figure out. The same load and bullets but with another lube. I do a fair amount of shooting in this type of temperature. I am an Alox shooter and chose it because it doesn't melt off a bullet when you throw one back in the pot. It simply leaches to the side of the pot and sticks.
Michael
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

RD,
Have never used alox straight but have used the 45/45/10 mix on some 223 loads.
The bullet I am using has normal lube grooves so am wondering if alox would work!
Does pure alox dry enough to be used without some sort of disk between it and the powder?

Might have to give your way a try.

Like I said in original post this one really has me stumped.

beekeeper
gwpercle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by gwpercle »

It may not be a lube question. Reason, no bullet leading or skidding , might be a powder and heat thing. Some powders are sensitive to heat, and a load that is just fine at 75 degrees may be erratic at 100 degrees. Nine A.M. , 100 degrees and I'm sure the temperature was rising and the gun was warming up too.
What was the powder and charge?
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

That same guy that came up with Ben's Red has also come up with Ben's Liquid Lube. He's admitted to trying it with regular lube the same as tumbling a lubed bullet in alox as a secondary lube. It looked easy enough.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Just a thought; put some of your ammo in a cooler with a "blue ice" block, not necessarily cold, but cooler than ambient. Keep some ammo out as you did when your results were bad. Shoot and compare...

I have noticed some differences in accuracy if I leave my ammo out in the sun, not a lot for my loads, but noticeable...
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

Maximumbob54 wrote:That same guy that came up with Ben's Red has also come up with Ben's Liquid Lube. He's admitted to trying it with regular lube the same as tumbling a lubed bullet in alox as a secondary lube. It looked easy enough.
Are you sure you're not talking about Ed Harris of Ed's Red fame?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

buckeye43210 wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:That same guy that came up with Ben's Red has also come up with Ben's Liquid Lube. He's admitted to trying it with regular lube the same as tumbling a lubed bullet in alox as a secondary lube. It looked easy enough.
No Ben over at castboolits has a couple of lubes, OK several and believe one has something to do with Ed's Red. Some guys just can't leave well enough alone and that might be a good thing.
Je suis Charlie
buckeye43210
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by buckeye43210 »

62chevy wrote:
buckeye43210 wrote:
No Ben over at castboolits has a couple of lubes, OK several and believe one has something to do with Ed's Red. Some guys just can't leave well enough alone and that might be a good thing.
OK, good to know. It stands to reason as some of us like to tinker...

Return to “Bullet Lube and Powder Coating”