USPSA Match

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

USPSA Match

Post by Steve »

If the weather doesn't turn bad I'm going to a USPSA match in Lowel, Iowa this week end. After the pistol stages are over we are going to shoot the same stages (paper only) with rifles. I plan on using the M1 Garand for the rifle event. I can hardly wait, running and gunning with the M1. And then more fun..... Reloading 30-06 rounds. Hot dang!

Got to find me some IMR 4895. I have primers and bullets.

EDIT............. I forgot to state the rifle part is for fun. No score, just fun.
Last edited by Steve on 16 Apr 2014 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: USPSA Match

Post by akuser47 »

Keep us posted to how you do
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like fun! I feel I'm real lucky to have the ranch setup that I do but the downside to it is that I don't do a lot of shooting with others. Years ago, after I got out of the Army in the mid seventies, I went straight into silhouette shooting which was fairly popular here in South Texas. I'm not sure it is anymore as I've been looking around and find very little. With my retirement coming up in October, I thought I might pursue it for a while being I've made amends with the Savage 10FCM.

May be the feral hog killed it? From '75 on is when Texas saw such a large rise in hog populations. It really justifies the expense of a lease if you hunt year round and shoot at the pigs for real. I wonder if the hogs are too blame :!:
Michael
Missionary
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Shot shot steel critters in ILLinois after Bible college before going to Mexico in 85. But once you get the rythem to popping steel it is then just fine tuning the trigger squeeze and sight picture.
Chasing smart critters about with a purpose of staying alive makes a whole new challenge. Not just a trigger finger now. But wits, cunning and with some beasties the knowledge that you just might have to defend yourself. That makes it far more spicey than just hearing a clang... although when laying on your spine it sure beats the thwap of a burn hit.
Mike in Peru
Steve

Post by Steve »

The match today was great. I never place hi in pistol because I use just carry gear. Others use all the star wars equipment. My hits are better than most even with using a compact pistol but I get killed on the overall time. But it is great practice, a bunch of friendly competitors, and we all have a good time.

Now when we started on rifle it really got fun. Mine was the loadest one there. in some of the rapid fire I didn't have the rifle mounted right so I have a brused shoulder. fired 15 clips and got to stick one of the targets with the bayonet. On a couple of the stages I had to reload 4 times while some of the other shooters made it on the first magazine. It was all for fun so the fact that I came drgging up dead last on time doesn't mater. If they decide to go with a actual match for rifles I will have to get a modern sporting rifle to compete, plus I hate beating my M1 that hard. One of the guys was using a unusual looking Beretta in 40 S&W. It even used stabndard Beretta pistol magazines. I have to look the thing up and decide wheter to make that plunge or not.

There is a group shooting Defensive pistol matshes (IDPA) about 50 miles north of my home. I may wind up going that rout. Have to try it and see.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Thats what its all about the fun. Glad you enjoyed the adventure.
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

More than likely the beretta is the cx4 storm carbine a very fine gun.
Sounds like you had fun that's what counts. At least you are training and shooting thanks for sharing
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Steve wrote:The match today was great. I never place hi in pistol because I use just carry gear. Others use all the star wars equipment. My hits are better than most even with using a compact pistol but I get killed on the overall time. But it is great practice, a bunch of friendly competitors, and we all have a good time.

Now when we started on rifle it really got fun. Mine was the loadest one there. in some of the rapid fire I didn't have the rifle mounted right so I have a brused shoulder. fired 15 clips and got to stick one of the targets with the bayonet. On a couple of the stages I had to reload 4 times while some of the other shooters made it on the first magazine. It was all for fun so the fact that I came drgging up dead last on time doesn't mater. If they decide to go with a actual match for rifles I will have to get a modern sporting rifle to compete, plus I hate beating my M1 that hard. One of the guys was using a unusual looking Beretta in 40 S&W. It even used stabndard Beretta pistol magazines. I have to look the thing up and decide wheter to make that plunge or not.

There is a group shooting Defensive pistol matshes (IDPA) about 50 miles north of my home. I may wind up going that rout. Have to try it and see.
sounds like you were looking at a Beretta CX4 Storm. I had one in 9mm for a few years with an ATN heads up sight. Really "fun" little gun, and I suppose could be pretty effective for a close quarters defensive gun - if you were able to make clean head shots on the hoards of invading zombies. Prior to the CX4, I had a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9mm (used Beretta mags) that was actually just as accurate as the CX4, and it had the added bonus of being a folder that hinged at the breech face and collapsed to a bit over 18 inches. Both were fun guns, but the ammo budget can get high with them.

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Topic Bucket”