Chamber Polishing ???

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Chamber Polishing ???

Post by horseman »

akuser47 wrote:My remy 700 that is my long distance plan was a tight chamber. I took a tap and threaded the primer hole on a junk mil. spec. cartridge shot in her, and used tooth paste on it on a drill with extended drill screwdriver bit and spun it in my chamber for a few moments then cleaned and oiled and kept doing this until I had smooth action reliable shots. The throat is what you need to watch as you don't want to engage rifling and cause the bullet to start wrong in the barrel so I would toothpaste after the neck on the brass use whichever polish you feel comfy with. Maybe I got lucky but at 600 yard this old vls as it started. It can put 5 shots on a quarter. I wish I was the shooter to do this, but alias I am not my coworker who uses it does. I am 50 cent piece at best at 600 and pop can at 1000 on my best days anymore. Only if I have the weather and light in my favor. This is .308 with my hand loads though. I billhilly polished mine so it can work I know first hand LoL +guns

I am impressed with that shooting. The world record, I believe from 2010, at 600 yards is .329 for 5 shots and the previous was .6 something. This was fired from a "custom" 17lb "light" rifle chambered in some 6mm derivitive, so I don't think I would beat myself up to much if your "old eyes" can only do a 50 cent piece 5 shot group at 600. You're still probably better than 98.9 percent of the shooters in the world. I doubt if I could do that at 100. Keep up the good shooting. +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

You'll likely find a small base 06' die cheaper and more common, since they share the important body diameters it should do the job with a standard die vs a special order or obscure die .

I had 3 06' at one time that wouldn't share brass in any of the 9 possible ways. 1 was practically a match chamber with a long shoulder base ,1 was long to the neck base and 1 had a huge (compared) shoulder . Oddly enough the pump rifle was the tight chamber and even it's own brass had to be full length sized to be sure it would feed every time .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Horseman wrote:
akuser47 wrote:My remy 700 that is my long distance plan was a tight chamber. I took a tap and threaded the primer hole on a junk mil. spec. cartridge shot in her, and used tooth paste on it on a drill with extended drill screwdriver bit and spun it in my chamber for a few moments then cleaned and oiled and kept doing this until I had smooth action reliable shots. The throat is what you need to watch as you don't want to engage rifling and cause the bullet to start wrong in the barrel so I would toothpaste after the neck on the brass use whichever polish you feel comfy with. Maybe I got lucky but at 600 yard this old vls as it started. It can put 5 shots on a quarter. I wish I was the shooter to do this, but alias I am not my coworker who uses it does. I am 50 cent piece at best at 600 and pop can at 1000 on my best days anymore. Only if I have the weather and light in my favor. This is .308 with my hand loads though. I billhilly polished mine so it can work I know first hand LoL +guns

I am impressed with that shooting. The world record, I believe from 2010, at 600 yards is .329 for 5 shots and the previous was .6 something. This was fired from a "custom" 17lb "light" rifle chambered in some 6mm derivitive, so I don't think I would beat myself up to much if your "old eyes" can only do a 50 cent piece 5 shot group at 600. You're still probably better than 98.9 percent of the shooters in the world. I doubt if I could do that at 100. Keep up the good shooting. +guns
My buddy is retired marine core sniper now a contractor he is a pain to go shoot with and hammers fundamentals so I try to avoid shooting with him my bad habits bother him. He has wanted this rifle since I put it together as he said it was a natural. I don't get her out much anymore to heavy all dressed for long range. Its a cheap build that he has wanted since he shot it. I was going to cut the barrel down but I don't want to mess with it since its a solid shooter. I might have to get out with her this year and see if I can do anything with her anymore. I'll see if I can find the log book for the rifle to verify the numbers back then he made me record everything wind, humidity, du point, and other stuff. My memory isn't guaranteed, and I really doubt I'm close to a record on accurate shooting anything at any range. I'll check my logs see what I can find. As I doubt it was this good . I'll keep searching until I find it I want to see now +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I have had today off, and have been digging through my log books but am missing 6 years of logs so I have had to put it elsewhere. For now I am surrendering as I cannot find definitive written results. So disregard my accuracy statement and just trust that the hillbilly chamber polish works for tight chamber. If I can find the logs from the shooting session. I will be fast to post up as I think my memory is off. I know I am no world record shooter. I wish I was. :lol: I'm glad you said something as I have found logs I was wanting that were in wrong file boxes so it was worth the digging +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

akuser47 wrote:I have had today off, and have been digging through my log books but am missing 6 years of logs so I have had to put it elsewhere. For now I am surrendering as I cannot find definitive written results. So disregard my accuracy statement and just trust that the hillbilly chamber polish works for tight chamber. If I can find the logs from the shooting session. I will be fast to post up as I think my memory is off. I know I am no world record shooter. I wish I was. :lol: I'm glad you said something as I have found logs I was wanting that were in wrong file boxes so it was worth the digging +guns

I was not doubting your remarks one bit. I was commenting on just how good the results were. You are a lucky man to know someone who "walks the walk" and can teach finer points of accurate shooting. Wish I had that opportunity. As to the OP, I know absolutely ZIP about chamber polishing but never had an issue with any "standard" rifle I've ever owned. I'n constantly being a bit amazed at the knowledge the folks here have.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I understood your statement but it lead me to doubt my memory its why I have logs for all such outings. Logs for fishing and shooting and reloading, car repairs etc. etc. to keep it all straight. I am missing a few file boxes I store them in. I organize them by gun for each box then its broke down to break in, load development, and quirks for each gun then, month, day and year makes it easy to find and helps me keep track. I split with my fiancé 4 years ago and I think she may have taken some by mistake.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

I've always had real good results with JB bore paste & tight mops along
with 1500 / 2000 grit cloth or paper with light oil. Don't forget the throat
but be very careful, you just want to smooth & polish, not remove metal.
I've had a couple in so screwed screwed up by the owners that they were
Trash can fodder or rechamber time..
But, I don't think I've told ' ya anything you didn't already know, do I'll
shut up now...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Yea this isn't a hammer n hack job for sure Bore paste is well known in F class shooting for good reason. Its' a good idea to have a chamber casting done, and to have a bore scope and check your work as you go. The chamber cast gives you the measurements to use to be sure you don't engage the throat or rifling.

Return to “Topic Bucket”