Lee Auto Drum

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
number1wrench
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Auto Drum

Post by number1wrench »

guncheese wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:So say a guy wanted to load some .38 WC ammo with 2.8gr of BE... Would this work?

ill say it would!!
i just got done dropping some tests of 2.5gr 700X (my .38 spl WC load)
did 4 sets of 10 drops

now thats consistant!!
and 700X meters like clumpy corn flakes

so it should drop BE perfectly!
now i do run a cardboard baffle in my hoppers
been using this one Uncle Nick's Powder Baffle Templates
i just get them to print the proper size and glue it to a thin cardboard and cut it out and install works a treat
never used the recommended tin or aluminum

I cant believe how well it works! +guns
and not a single flake of leaked powder
so easy to setup
i may not even worry about buying their new Classic Measure

ive been running this thing for week, dropping 4,5,5.2 gr charges of CSB-1 (medium flake shotgun/pistol powder) and it has been a treat to use such a well behaved measure

now that its set for the 700X load ill run a couple hundred of those out
and then for kicks ill do some BE wc loads
then some 3.8gr drops of 700X for .45acp
i have some Solo 1000 here and i could try that out
but im sure that wont be any trouble at all
Thanks for the additional verification inf.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

More money poured into the black hole of reloading gear. Got the in stock notification from Midway and now mine is on the way. Hope mine works as well.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

OK, somewhere in all this I missed a big design "no-likey" in the Auto Drum. Sure, it's case activated but the return seems to require the pull chain to reset or you are forced to press a button lever for manual reset.

Am I missing something here because IMHO that kind of kills this design to me. No way do I want to risk running a squib because I forgot to press the return.

Seems like if it does require the return chain for resetting then they should have come up with a collar that mounts back at the base of the die or something for the chain.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

That feature can be removed so it is just case activated and will function with a SS or turret. You might Google the Auto Drum PM's instructions for details. Left as is and with the chain hooked up it is an excellent PM for progressives.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

So I am missing something?

I have the instructions right in front of me and all I'm seeing is the button press in the section for single stage and turret. Where am I not looking???
Rmelchiori
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Rmelchiori »

There is a section in the instructions that shows you how to disable the reset function.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Ah ha! That last page. I skimmed the title of "down stoke verification device" and didn't figure that's what it was talking about. What an odd design. Risk squibs galore and rush a second shot explosion.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Maximumbob54 wrote:Ah ha! That last page. I skimmed the title of "down stoke verification device" and didn't figure that's what it was talking about. What an odd design. Risk squibs galore and rush a second shot explosion.
Well I kinda like that "odd design". :P It incorporated the basics of the the old PPM and adds several improvements to it. Personally I find it will fill a void in the market as a simple progressive PM without complicated apparatus to make if function. And function well it does at least for the several powders I tested it with above. Having now loaded over 1500+ rounds with in on both a progressive and on a Turret with and without the disconnector button it did exactly what it was designed to to. I personally find it is best used on a progressive with that added safety feature. Beats the heck out of the clunky Dillon PM and all the parts requires to make it function.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I just wish they had figured a way for a spring return and expander into the PPM. It's so close but I never could find a way to finagle it into happening. But I do fully agree with it being a simpler design than anything else similar. I'm hoping the rotating drum being plastic instead of metal with the adjustment knob thwacking up and down shaking everything loose then the Lee will be better. I'm had my Hornady powder measure work loose several times and it requires constant attention and tightening. I bet this Lee measure being lighter won't shake things up so much and still be accurate.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

This is admittedly just me yet again being a clutz but now I have another reason to dislike the Auto Drum. The PPM and Pro Auto share the same powder reservoir that has the plastic hex shape at the base to snug down over the measure. It doesn't lock but it's fairly tight. The Auto Drum for whatever cost savings uses a different reservoir with a round piece that just sets into the metal body of the Auto Drum. I bumped it and poof there's powder EVERYWHERE. Well, fudge. It was one of those casual little bumps into things that you don't even give a second thought until it's like the Death Star just revealed that open exhaust port.

So let's just say I'm taking a lengthy break from the Auto Drum for the time being. :oops:

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”