Collet crimp die?

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
beekeeper

Collet crimp die?

Post by beekeeper »

Saw a post over on cast boolits about someone using a Lee collet crimp die.
Never heard of one.
Checked the Lee catalog and did not find one.
Is there such a thing or is the poster just using a factory crimp die and calling it a collet crimp die?

beekeeper
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Collet crimp die?

Post by Steve »

The Lee factory crimp die for rifles does operate with a collet to close on the neck and create the crimp. I use one each for 223 and 30-06. they work very well. I disasemble the dies and lubricate the surfaces of the die which rub together to close with Permatex brand anti-sieze. It last a long time, and doesn't creep around everything like oil does.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:The Lee factory crimp die for rifles does operate with a collet to close on the neck and create the crimp. I use one each for 223 and 30-06. they work very well. I disasemble the dies and lubricate the surfaces of the die which rub together to close with Permatex brand anti-sieze. It last a long time, and doesn't creep around everything like oil does.
Great idea need to do the same to my 30 cal crimp die, thanks.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Many have started to refer to the rifle FCD as the "Collet FCD", a much better description. Lee is actually doing the same now that they are offering this type of die for handgun cartridges, see: 45 COLT (COLLET STYLE) CUSTOM FACTORY CRIMP DIE

The Bottle Necked Cartridge FCD is also a collet style die. In it the collet is inverted and it is actuated against the closed top of the die. It is a smooth stroke of less resistance for short case length.
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Steve wrote:The Lee factory crimp die for rifles does operate with a collet to close on the neck and create the crimp. I use one each for 223 and 30-06. they work very well. I disasemble the dies and lubricate the surfaces of the die which rub together to close with Permatex brand anti-sieze. It last a long time, and doesn't creep around everything like oil does.
I have taken this a step further and got excelent longer lasting results by polishing those surfaces with fine valve grinding compound.

I am going to do another one soon. I will post with pictures the way I do it.
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

I have an older collet crimp Lee, it came thrown in with a set of used 303 British dies.
I have yet to use it because everyone I know that has brought me along in "Rifle"
reloading say's, I don't need to, the neck tension is enough, & if it's not my cases are bad,
or in need of annealing???? Then I hear that factory ammo is crimped & they should be crimped
to help with preventing moisture problems & that it does help accuracy. I sure do wish I had done the smart thing & started doing rifle the same time I started with handgun, but, stupid me????
Guess i'll try it & see the difference I just DON'T want to mess with pressure very much
in my old girl, A 1945 Jungle Carbine 303 British. Any advice????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I think you'll find that if you ask 20 rifle shooters/reloaders you'll get 30 opinions on whether to crimp or not to crimp. I do both, depending on the gun and load (rifles). For my 30-30 single shot I don't crimp. My .223 single shot, that uses military brass, I use a very light collet crimp. For my lever gun I use a stout crimp. My Garand (30-06) I most often use no/very light crimp and don't have any "set back" problems. Some say a crimp is not needed as good accuracy is achievable w/no crimp. Some say a "controlled crimp" will give fewer variations in velocity due to neck tension. Some say a good crimp, holding the bullet for that micro second longer getting more consistent pressures is best.

Try all crimps/no crimps on your ammo and see what works best for you in your gun...
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Question about the collet dies, could the neck collet sizer be used to post size a rifle case? I have about 150 x39s that with the paper patched load have bloated since they were loaded and won't battery in an sks. The issue being that the particular rifle has a huge bore and neck dimension that makes simply resizing impractical due to a 318 groove and dies that size back under 308. I'd need to just bump the neck down from its current. 335 to.. 330.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:Question about the collet dies, could the neck collet sizer be used to post size a rifle case? I have about 150 x39s that with the paper patched load have bloated since they were loaded and won't battery in an sks. The issue being that the particular rifle has a huge bore and neck dimension that makes simply resizing impractical due to a 318 groove and dies that size back under 308. I'd need to just bump the neck down from its current. 335 to.. 330.
I would check with Lee to see if they will make one the size needed. Or maybe neck it down slightly small then open it back up with a mandrel to the size you want.

Return to “Rifle”