Load-Master 1 of 3 ~ 45 Auto

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Load-Master 1 of 3 ~ 45 Auto

Post by GasGuzzler »

Good catch
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Load-Master 1 of 3 ~ 45 Auto

Post by Ranch Dog »

I loaded the remaining TL457-235-RF cast bullets I had on hand yesterday afternoon. Thought I would pass on a few things that I am learning.

Like I have said before, I have learned to follow Lee's instructions closely. With the bullet feeder, Lee recommends no more than 4,000 grains of cast bullets in each tube so there, so that is a stack of 20. The actual math would be 17, but I like stuff rounded by a count of 10 to keep track of components. So, I have decided to let the bullet feeder dictate how the primer tray, case feeder, and powder hopper is loaded. Everything is loaded in multiples of 80 with my 45 Auto. In the picture above, I let the case collator distribute the cases. Both the bullet and case tubes are going to get cut off so that they each hold a 20 count. I want the need to rotate the case feeder to give me a heads up that to rotate the bullet feeder when that case passed through that station. Same with the powder hopper except that I have two servings of 80 drops above the baffle, so it sees two complete reloads. The primer trays hold a base of 10 primers in the cute, they will always be in there now that I am not turning them upside down or sideways, but I put 80 in the tray with each cycle. The funny thing is, and to carry this further, the plastic loaded round catcher is starting to lean a bit with 20 cartridges in it, and 40 is about the limit. I dump it with the tube rotations.

The crazy thing when you put the pencil to it is the amount of weight on the press. Loaded as I described, there are 6 lbs of components on the press, and you can feel it during the initial operation.

Primers not touched by human hands other than to dump them into a tray! Below is 40 in the catcher, it is starting to lean a bit as it hangs from the bracket.

I had bought a cheap borescope on eBay to view the powder in the case but have thrown it aside as it takes your focus away from the press. I don't use a marginal case fill in any of my reloading, so I direct my focus under the bullet seating die. There I have a view of the case filled from the previous station and the bullet moving out with the fingers to intercept the case mouth as the ram raises.

Out of 45 Auto bullets, need to get more cast. The next batch will be lubed on the Lyman 4500, so the lube residue at the front band of these will not be present. That collection of lube is from the tumble lube and Lee sizer collecting it ahead of the next bullet that goes through the sizer. I will continue to tumble the bullets in mica before they go to the press. Makes them slicker than a weasel!

Michael

Return to “Progressive”