loadmaster

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
chet
My Press Choice: Progressive

loadmaster

Post by chet »

i have a lee loadmaster, i used it for few thousand rounds about 15 yrs ago,, so i get back into loading the press was gummy so i tore it down completely removed the carrier ect and cleaned it up, i put it back together and everything works fine but one issue, the primers were not the same depth as when i used the press years ago, the primer was sticking out of the case approx 1/16 in, so i redajust the depth and now about every 3rd or 4 th primer is getting crushed, wonder if i assembled the primer pin correctly, looks to be the same way i removed it, any ideas what to look for.

thanks
Chet
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: loadmaster

Post by daboone »

chet, I'd give Lee a call. They always treat me right.

Priming is now and has been the LM's biggest bug-a-boo. I hear there is a new priming system that's a big improvement. I had mine working with the old system but it was never perfect or maybe the operator wasn't? Anyway I now prime off press.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

Large and inconsistent changes in seating depth after small adjustments of the set screw can be caused by the stamp on the screw head. It is recommended to turn or grind flat the face of the screw head.

But as daboone already said, the priming system on the LoadMaster is not the best LEE has invented. Most problems with the LoadMaster derive from the priming system, and most LM users I know prime off-press.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Have you check the shell plate on your unit and the index pin. You said the 3rd and the 4th cartridge was where the problem began. My 5 hole LM is only 2 months old and I not having any problems out of it yet, but 1 minor with OAL, and come to fined out its the shell plate. When they made this one, its not true to size on number 4 and 5 shell holder, and gives me just a little difference in my OAL. After reading forum after forum, the main problem with some of them is priming. Like you are having. Check the position of the shell plate at the priming station and see if you are lining up correctly with the priming pin. If the
priming pin isn't center of the shell plate after advancing the plate. Then I would be looking at the indexer pin. I don't know if this will help you, and you probably already check this. But I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. If you figure this out, please let me know what you did to fix it, in case I start having this problem. I'm starting to worry about problems I'm not having after reading all these forums about the Load Master 5 hole Turret press. 800 rounds and still counting. Wish me luck. And good luck to you on this matter.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Fyodor wrote:Large and inconsistent changes in seating depth after small adjustments of the set screw can be caused by the stamp on the screw head. It is recommended to turn or grind flat the face of the screw head.

But as daboone already said, the priming system on the LoadMaster is not the best LEE has invented. Most problems with the LoadMaster derive from the priming system, and most LM users I know prime off-press.
I've had my Lm 2 months now and it came with a flat screw head, no raised marking on it. So I think lee may of addressed that issue. Your post is a quick fix and will surely work provided that there is no other problems. Thank you, and HAPPY NEW YEAR. See how I'm spending mine. It's 01/01/2015 at 3:53 am eastern time. My wife's going to kick me in my new year, if I don't go to bed.<lol :) >

Return to “Progressive”