Loadmaster case feed

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster case feed

Post by Steve »

Sometimes a case comes flying out of my case feeder moving faster than I do when a spider surprises me. These pictures show how I installed a piece of 1/6" music wire to hold the cases back long enough to stop bouncing. I ran a few hundred through it and watched closely, several cases bounced back off the wire as the ram started down. This method of mounting won't work if you prime on the press. The case slider flexes the wire out of the way when it comes back up.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Loadmaster case feed

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another great idea!
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

This little piece of music wire really works good. I loaded 500 40 s&w today with no feed problems. This was on my LM2. The only problems I had loading the 500 rounds was 4 split cases, those I caught when checking powder/setting bullet on case.

I'm going to put the same thing on LM1. I will be curious to see if it helps with 223 Rem. Might be easier than what I had planned.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Another 500 rounds today, not one hickup, everything operated perfectly. Remember, I don't prime on the press.

The cases I loaded the last couple days would have been hand primed. Another thousand or so of them and I'll be using just primers done on my bench prime tool.
Steve

Post by Steve »

If the powder level varies I see it when ready to place the bullet. This picture is what I see from my seat as I am reloading, even a small change in powder will show. This is also the time I can check for split cases before seating the bullet. Found 4 of them out of the last 1,000 cases.
PdrLev40s-w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The wire in front of the case feeder is working so well I setup the same on my other loadmaster. On it when the case dropped onto the carrier the ram was already below the wire, so it did no good.

I screwed in the crank slider rod holder in1 turn. This caused the cases to drop onto the carier when it is just starting down. Now, like on the other press I can see the 40 s&w cases bounce back of that wire ocasionally. Those are cases that I would be picking up if not for that wire.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Lube for the crank slider on the LoadMaster.......
I think I have tried everything known to man to keep the crank slider of the LoadMaster working smoothly.
Following is what works the best for me.

Use 600 grit paper to lightly polish the 1/4" square rod in the area that the crank slider moves on.
I have tried many types of lube on the square shaft in this area to keep the crank slider moving free. The one lube I have found that really lasts the longest is "MONTANA X-TREME" gun grease. (I got mine from Midway) I don't know what is in their formula, but it really works. Other good quality greases and oils I tried did not measure up for this task/material. I wipe the shaft and put fresh grease on approximately every thousand rounds. (Only takes a minute without disasembling it.)

On one of my LoadMasters I striped the threads in the crank slider cover. I still put the screws in and just put a plastic close-pin type clamp on the crank slider to maintain pressure on the rod. works good, will probably just leave it that way.

Finally I clean the shell slider where it rides on the carrier. I use Liquid Wrench dry lube and a paper towel to clean this area of the case slider, plus the area of the carrier that the slider runs on. After the cleaning I spray the slot on the slider with the dry lube, shake off the excess, let the propellant evaporate, put it together. It keeps operating for a long time. On my LoadMaster #2, I'm estimating that 3 thousand rounds have been run through it in the past month without cleaning..... But getting close.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Well I just need to say that for over 5 years this case feeder has never been a problem for me once adjusted and maybe and occasional readjustment. That includes the time My S-I-L had it over at his home. It's cranked out literally 1000s each of 9mmL, Makarov, 45ACP and 32ACP. Now I'm setting up a turret for 38 Spl.

Now the # of flipped primers :cry: :roll:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve

Post by Steve »

daboone wrote:Well I just need to say that for over 5 years this case feeder has never been a problem for me once adjusted and maybe and occasional readjustment. That includes the time My S-I-L had it over at his home. It's cranked out literally 1000s each of 9mmL, Makarov, 45ACP and 32ACP. Now I'm setting up a turret for 38 Spl.

Now the # of flipped primers :cry: :roll:
That's good daboone.
Yeh.... flipped primers, what can I say. I read the new version of primer feeder is working good for some people. I just prime before loading and have no problem.
Patriot007

Post by Patriot007 »

Steve wrote:Lube for the crank slider on the LoadMaster.......
I think I have tried everything known to man to keep the crank slider of the LoadMaster working smoothly.
Following is what works the best for me.

Use 600 grit paper to lightly polish the 1/4" square rod in the area that the crank slider moves on.
I have tried many types of lube on the square shaft in this area to keep the crank slider moving free. The one lube I have found that really lasts the longest is "MONTANA X-TREME" gun grease. (I got mine from Midway) I don't know what is in their formula, but it really works. Other good quality greases and oils I tried did not measure up for this task/material. I wipe the shaft and put fresh grease on approximately every thousand rounds. (Only takes a minute without disasembling it.)
THANK YOU!!! for the Info On the Montana X-Tream gun grease. I got my load master two months
ago and the instructions said use motor oil for the car. I used Penn 30 wt. After about a thousand round
as of today. That oil makes a gummy mess out of things and, well you know. I like to keep my toys as clean as possible , but we get dirty when we play. You say it works well on the ram also, I see. Great news to me. I will order some ASP. Thank You :D

Return to “Progressive”