Are you considering a Lee Loadmaster?

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Are you considering a Lee Loadmaster?

Post by Steve »

I just wanted to let the world know that I am a Loadmaster fan and for the money a Loadmaster is a heck of a bargain. My opinion is if you are new to progressive reloading go ahead and give the Lee Loadmaster a try.

The Lee Loadmaster has got a lot of bad press, mostly as a result of priming issues. I had the same problem, so I started priming off the press, that cured all priming issues plus I enjoy the time priming the cases.

If I was going to get a progressive press for the first time the Loadmaster might be low on the list do to all the modifications I read about people saying have to be used.

The fact is I keep my presses clean and lubed (keep in mind I don't prime on the loadmaster) I have a few DIY mods that I think help, But not 1 purchased modification, no turrets, no crank sliders, nothing purchased for modifications. The ammo off the press is I think truer than factory ammo, it always goes bang, OAL is within a few thousandths (nearly the same when using the same mfg of cases. And no my Loadmasters are not mounted in bedrock. They flex a little bit with no ill effects.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Are you considering a Lee Loadmaster?

Post by 62chevy »

No I love my Turret press and for the amount of reloading I do it's all I need.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

A lot of reloaders use a LoadMaster and prime off press, because the priming system is the most tricky thing on this guy. I actually don't see the point in a progressive press without priming.

I preffer the pro1000, because it got only one station less (when you prime on press), but is considerably cheaper.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have had time to work on my three LoadMasters yet this year and that time just doesn't seem to be in the near future. What pistol stuff I've been loading, I've been doing on the turret and it is more than fine.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I battled with LM for years then gave it to my SIL. he gave it back and I fiddled with it some more using the new Lee upgrade primer assemblies and MM's stuff then completely gave up and sold it. I then went blue for progressive loading. (please don't ban me for saying that. :? ) But 85% of my reloading tools are Lee and I hate most of the blue stuff except that progressive.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I expect to not shoot the amount I did in the recent years past. Before the Loadmaster I used a Lee 3 stage turret press for years. Then the pace picked up and I for several years just 40 S&W alone was 15,000 a year there were also lower numbers of other calibers.

A turret press would keep up with my ammo needs now but I would never be able to talk myself into pulling the handle 4 times to make one round.

Like I said I like my Loadmaster but if I had to replace them and cash is no problem at the time, it would be with a Dillon 550 using Hornady powder measure with micrometer setting. And Lee dies.
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

I sold my Loadmasters about 6 months ago. I was apprehensive at first........how will I are all those wee 9mm rounds? Well the Lee Pro 1000 makes them very well. Hiccups? Yes but easily fixed and I know what I'm doing. On the LM I didn't know what was going on. Was it me, was it the machine....who knows. It wouldn't be right to recommend the LM to another shooter because we all know the issues. Priming off the press voids any claim to be a Progressive Press. I actually felt better as it left the house. Lee have a made a major mistake in its fundamental design.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I agree with you comments nagantino. With my down time during hunting season I will be getting back to the setup of my Load-Masters, they have been down for over a year now. If they give me hassel, they are out the door. I'm trying to think positive about these getting back up so I have not considered their replacements but it would probably be the 1000 although I really want a four station press. Never needed the five the Load-Master offers.
Michael
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

LEE is working on a 4 station progressive for years. Would be nice if they would actually release it some time, there would be a large request for that.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Fyodor wrote:A lot of reloaders use a LoadMaster and prime off press, because the priming system is the most tricky thing on this guy. I actually don't see the point in a progressive press without priming.

I preffer the pro1000, because it got only one station less (when you prime on press), but is considerably cheaper.
With the Loadmaster and priming off press there is still 1 completed cartridge ejected every time I pull the handle. With my entire method there is not any reason to pick the case up to check anything. (the usual bad part "the primer" has been checked). Just keep pulling the handle and set a bullet on stage 4.

Return to “Progressive”