Newbie: Classic Turret Press Up & Running, but

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Newbie: Classic Turret Press Up & Running, but

Post by daboone »

I must be lucky as after I tweaked the alignment all 12 different calibers just slide into slide into the dies without any nursing of the cases into position. The one exception was M1 Carbine brass. That one was a bratty little bugger for awhile. I tried 4 different shellholders from 3 different companies. For some reason the RCBS shellholder eliminated it's bumping into the sizing die. Now even that slim and tall case just slides right in place without any hassle. I'm not saying RCBS makes better a shellholder because I don't think they do. In that particular case it did just did.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Deleted User 1445

Post by Deleted User 1445 »

Hmm, thanks to all of you for your replies. I have seen YT videos of a few Classic Turret Press users where they did NOT have to touch the brass to get it into the resizing die. BTW: there of no force required to get the brass into the resizing die, just a touch due to misalignment. I'm going to try adjusting the indexing and I'm going to either move the dies around in the turret and/or try a new turret. If everything fails, I'm sending the press back to Lee for repair/replacement.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I never considered it a problem, never tried a solution, never considered anything at all was wrong.

+corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Deleted User 1445

:oops: OK, all you guys recommending adjusting the Indexing were right! :oops: I did that, and now my Classic is a whole lot better. I need to do more loading on it, but I'd say ~50-60% of the cases are slipping right into the resizing die, now, without any finger-tipping! There is a very slight front-back misalignment, but it is minor. Oh, that index adjustment is trivially simple -- but I needed Lee's 0:47 sec video to make it clear. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have to guide brass to both my single stages so I never considered it to be odd on the LCT. I figured it was the shell holders.

I might adjust my LCT now. Well, at least the next time I use it...and I bet it's been a year since I used it last.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Deleted User 1445

GasGuzzler wrote:I have to guide brass to both my single stages so I never considered it to be odd on the LCT. I figured it was the shell holders.

I might adjust my LCT now. Well, at least the next time I use it...and I bet it's been a year since I used it last.
I look at it this way: the Loadmaster owners would never THINK of 'guiding cases' into the resizing die by hand, so why should we with Classic Turret Presses?
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

tkarl wrote:I look at it this way: the Loadmaster owners would never THINK of 'guiding cases' into the resizing die by hand, so why should we with Classic Turret Presses?
I agree for the most part but not 100%. I have a Lee hand press, LCT, Bonanza CO-AX, RCBS Summit and a RL550B. Not one of them feed of cases into the sizing die every time. I have a collection of various shellholders, Lee, Lyman and RCBS and Redding I have collected least 4 Lee shellholders for the M1 Carbine yet only the RCBS shellholder feeds the that case reliably into the sizing die. But not 100% of the time.

The reason for most of these "guiding the case" problems is the case itself. Because they are mass produced not every case is perfect. Ejection of the case from a gun also can leave its marks of the case's base and rim. Either one of those issues or additive effect of both can be the reason for this frustration. Lastly the shellholder itself may be the problem. I've have to clean a shellholder from time to time that suddenly started misbehaving.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

tkarl wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:I have to guide brass to both my single stages so I never considered it to be odd on the LCT. I figured it was the shell holders.

I look at it this way: the Loadmaster owners would never THINK of 'guiding cases' into the resizing die by hand, so why should we with Classic Turret Presses?
The case feeder pushes the case into the shell plate on the Loadmaster. But not 100%.

EDIT: Thought I should clarify the not 100% statement (last line above). I'm referring to range brass. My guess if a guy could afford to use new brass it would probably be 100%.

Return to “Turret”